• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer unlined loafers

GrahamM

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm after some unlined loafers....I personally see loafers as a "summer" shoe and (shock, horror) may want to go sockless, so unlined preferred. I generally would like to buy quality items that last some time and not into "throw-away clothing" mentality. With that in mind and the timeframe where I can where unlined shoes is limited to three months, I'm beginning to wonder if it makes more sense to "invest" in shoes that can be used more of the year. Bearing this in mind, and having read this forum chat about meermin unlined loafers (https://www.styleforum.net/threads/summer-loafers.645365/) would a pair of Meermin unlined loafers have good enough quality to last several summers? Assuming they fit of course!

With regard to the finish, how would they compare to say Carmina, Crockett and Jones? Also, I guess the more pointy style of the Meermin loafers and leather sole means a bit more formal looking loafer? Not ideal.

Cheers

Graham

Trusar

Reaction score
I think full grain reverse calf would last the longest, as it is just full gain leather but inside out.
Unlined driving shoe are also good for comfort as the don't have stiffeners at the back and front, it feels like wearing a slipper. And some of them have the strip on the instep so it looks like a loafer. U have to wear driving shoe without socks

Sorry but I need to ask a another question to add to the above.
How long do unlined suede loafers /driving shoes last in terms of lifespan in comparison to lined shoes .

Joytropics

Reaction score
I have 2 pairs of Meermin unlined loafers that have lasted a few years now, thanks to rotating between them.

I just ordered a third pair for this summer, so obviously I’ve been happy with them. And all 3 pairs still cost me less than a single pair from many other makers.

4r36

Reaction score
Am I the only one who find the J crew Loudlow one of the most stunning examples of summer penny loafer? Great last and, arguably, great value for what you pay...

b.jpg

h.jpg

4r36

Reaction score
isn’t this basically just a copy of the Alden LHS in snuff suede?
As regards the last, I'd say so. Indeed, I think they are produced either by Alden or Grant Stone (whose shoes are, in turn, inspired by the former). The nice details on this pair is the contrast stiching and the 360 welt. And, of course, the price. In this moment they are on sale for 208$...

emptym

Reaction score
I don't think those J Crew ones are made by Alden. The last and construction seem a bit chunkier. I'm a little addicted to the Alden LHS in unlined shell or suede:
IMG_5954.jpeg

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As regards the last, I'd say so. Indeed, I think they are produced either by Alden or Grant Stone (whose shoes are, in turn, inspired by the former). The nice details on this pair is the contrast stiching and the 360 welt. And, of course, the price. In this moment they are on sale for 208$...

If they are $200 there is absolutely no chance they’re produced by Alden. I suppose Grant Stone is possible.

But the Ludlow loafers are nice looking, i agree. I’d be curious to hear how they compare to the Aldens they’re modeled on.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J Crew's private label shoes are made in SE Asia by God knows who. They do collaborate with Alden but I'm not sure they are contractually allowed to put them on sale.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have them, but I really don't like wearing Goodyear welted loafers without socks. Too stiff, too heavy, too hard, too much like lace-ups without the laces.

My suggestion would be a moccasin or blake-stitched loafer with a thin leather sole. They should be lightweight, soft and flexible enough that you can bend them in two with one hand.

Herring Lucca

717tGdreWlL._AC_UY600_.jpg

Velasca OST

visual_bottom_ost_ts_01_x960.jpg

Hugs & Co 'Boat' loafers

mens_boat_shoe_loafer_brown_00_2000x.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics