• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Summer unlined loafers

GrahamM

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm after some unlined loafers....I personally see loafers as a "summer" shoe and (shock, horror) may want to go sockless, so unlined preferred. I generally would like to buy quality items that last some time and not into "throw-away clothing" mentality. With that in mind and the timeframe where I can where unlined shoes is limited to three months, I'm beginning to wonder if it makes more sense to "invest" in shoes that can be used more of the year. Bearing this in mind, and having read this forum chat about meermin unlined loafers (https://www.styleforum.net/threads/summer-loafers.645365/) would a pair of Meermin unlined loafers have good enough quality to last several summers? Assuming they fit of course!

With regard to the finish, how would they compare to say Carmina, Crockett and Jones? Also, I guess the more pointy style of the Meermin loafers and leather sole means a bit more formal looking loafer? Not ideal.

Cheers

Graham

Trusar

Reaction score
I think full grain reverse calf would last the longest, as it is just full gain leather but inside out.
Unlined driving shoe are also good for comfort as the don't have stiffeners at the back and front, it feels like wearing a slipper. And some of them have the strip on the instep so it looks like a loafer. U have to wear driving shoe without socks

Sorry but I need to ask a another question to add to the above.
How long do unlined suede loafers /driving shoes last in terms of lifespan in comparison to lined shoes .

Joytropics

Reaction score
I have 2 pairs of Meermin unlined loafers that have lasted a few years now, thanks to rotating between them.

I just ordered a third pair for this summer, so obviously I’ve been happy with them. And all 3 pairs still cost me less than a single pair from many other makers.

coldbrew

Reaction score
I find the Crockett's unlined harvard being the most comfortable summer shoes.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J Tie-in on the 341 last...

4r36

Reaction score
isn’t this basically just a copy of the Alden LHS in snuff suede?
As regards the last, I'd say so. Indeed, I think they are produced either by Alden or Grant Stone (whose shoes are, in turn, inspired by the former). The nice details on this pair is the contrast stiching and the 360 welt. And, of course, the price. In this moment they are on sale for 208$...

emptym

Reaction score
I don't think those J Crew ones are made by Alden. The last and construction seem a bit chunkier. I'm a little addicted to the Alden LHS in unlined shell or suede:
IMG_5954.jpeg

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As regards the last, I'd say so. Indeed, I think they are produced either by Alden or Grant Stone (whose shoes are, in turn, inspired by the former). The nice details on this pair is the contrast stiching and the 360 welt. And, of course, the price. In this moment they are on sale for 208$...
If they are $200 there is absolutely no chance they’re produced by Alden. I suppose Grant Stone is possible.

But the Ludlow loafers are nice looking, i agree. I’d be curious to hear how they compare to the Aldens they’re modeled on.

emptym

Reaction score

Phileas Fogg

Reaction score
J Crew's private label shoes are made in SE Asia by God knows who. They do collaborate with Alden but I'm not sure they are contractually allowed to put them on sale.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.