• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit + turtlenecks

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i agree that they have to create contrast. the only one i'd ever wear, though, are a light tweed jacket + black turtleneck. anything other than cotton would suffocate me, unfortunately.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe a cashmere turtleneck with a tweed sport coat. Very difficult to not come off looking bad imo. I HATE the mock turtleneck, maybe turtleneckman can comment further.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I see a lot of guys on Friday evening walking around the UWS in a navy blazer and black turtleneck. It reminds me of some mid-90s/Seinfeld/Jopseh About ****. The only time I've done something similar is when wearing a dark suit, shirt and instead of a tie I wore a very thin black turtle neck under the black/purple/yellow stripe shirt.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Suit + Turtleneck = Child Therapist

Suit + Turtleneck + Birkenstocks + Wool Socks = What all Child Therapists aspire to. They probably own a Segway and a VW Beetle.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alan
Yeah nice picture.

SO i guess a rather dark charcoal suit wouldnt go too well with black?
what about light grey?

White could work if you are an intense bald man with glasses:

foucault.jpg

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For our UK and Ireland readers:

louis_balfour2.jpg

Niiiiiice.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Forgot to add a Swedish art gallery owner.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
IMO, turtlenecks... are better suited for the suburbs and less formal cities cities than they are for Manhattan.

Well, in a world where people cared about how they dressed, maybe.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think I'd recommend one with any kind of business suit. I just can't see it.

Maybe with a tweedy country suit. And with a sports jacket, I think it's perfectly acceptable. I think tweed is the key here. Tweed or Houndstooth or something thick and textured.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I don't think I'd recommend one with any kind of business suit. I just can't see it.

Maybe with a tweedy country suit. And with a sports jacket, I think it's perfectly acceptable. I think tweed is the key here. Tweed or Houndstooth or something thick and textured.

Yes, thanks for those who pointed that out.

I gather that the contrast works best when its the suit thats the more textured, and the turtleneck is thin.

Plus from pictures, id say that light suit + dark works better than dark suit + light?

Degendorff

Reaction score
I think that a suit + turtleneck looks like a bad guy from a 30's thriller. A friend of mine once dressed in a three-day beard, an off-white turtleneck, black dinner jacket with a shawl collar and black patent leather shoes. I don't know about the pocket square anymore. The occasion was a big dinner, a bit dancing, everybody in black tie, nothing that could harm your career. Most people knew each other. Normally I would say that an outfit like that looks horrible, but he "who knows the rules" wanted to break them and looked good that way.

Personally I hate turtlenecks...

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
T-neck with a sportcoat is permissable, depending upon, as others have said, texture and contrast. T-neck with a suit is a definite no-no; I have a graduation portrait as proof.
frown.gif

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5xs1jlj.jpg

Please ignore the dreaded hugo boss but it does capture the style.

There is some debate on rather to roll the neck or not as some will say you get the burt and ernie look.

Dormeuil had this styling in their fabric book last year I believe and quite predominatly, I like the look for lounges and a night out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads