• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit + turtlenecks

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Here's my attempt from a while back:

wywt12ji7.jpg

I thought it looked okay, but I don't do it much since I don't have any cotton (or silk?) turtlenecks and I get too warm with a wool/cashmere one and a jacket.

This is the way I would do it. Cable knit sweater with sleeves picking out of the suit. Casual and dressy , without trying too hard. Thin T-necks make most men look like a German Psychotherapist from "Shprockets" or aging eurotrash.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my circle of friends the T-neck with sportcoat look is known as "zer Dieter," pronounced with a suitably derisive German accent ...
rolleyes.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I amend my earlier comment to include this t-neck. This is a good look. I normally don't like gray t-necks but the textured weave of this one is very nice and it would look good in a variety of earthy colors.

Originally Posted by j
Here's my attempt from a while back:

wywt12ji7.jpg

I

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am still a bit red eyed but here goes
Alot of people say I look like Daniel Criag on the forum so he has hijacked my casual
Luciano Barbera by Attolini Design Brown Check Cashmere 3 button side vent SC
Ballantyne cashmere Turtleneck Sweater
Sutor Belt/Earnest Sewn Fulton
RM Williams Boot
2nd pic:
Ceasare Attolini Cashmere sportcoat
Smedley wool turtleneck

Gewehr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
7xing2s.jpg

I am still a bit red eyed but here goes
Alot of people say I look like Daniel Criag on the forum so he has hijacked my casual
Luciano Barbera by Attolini Design Brown Check Cashmere 3 button side vent SC
Ballantyne cashmere Turtleneck Sweater
Sutor Belt/Earnest Sewn Fulton
RM Williams Boot
2nd pic:
Ceasare Attolini Cashmere sportcoat
Smedley wool turtleneck

Awesome, I like your style
wink.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore a burgundy T-neck, light gray suede blazer, charcoal gray flannel trousers, cordovan monkstraps, and a red bandana-patterned silk pocket square on New Year's Eve. Sorry, no pic.

Obviously, I have nothing against odd jacket plus T-neck and I might also wear a T-neck with a suit.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like turtlenecks, but I agree with some other posters that it may in general look more "appropriate" when combined with a sportcoat than with a suit. I do not think that any of my turtlenecks would look good with any of my suits. Now, I only have worsted suits. If I eventually get a flannel suit, I think I will try to wear it with a turtleneck on a Friday, for example. And put on my new pair of dark brown Sutor Mantellassi monkstrap ankle boots.

Gewehr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
I like turtlenecks, but I agree with some other posters that it may in general look more "appropriate" when combined with a sportcoat than with a suit..
Agree

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
What would you think about the maroon jacket I am wearing in my avatar with a white turtleneck and jeans?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Turtlenecks are very classy and elegant...

I do like the constrast with the light coloured jacket...
What is exactly Eurotrash in fashion? I know in music but in fashion?
is it tan shoes with navy suits ,brown shoes with black?

Frontovik

Reaction score
If you are tall, slim, and handsome (this is important, be realistic with yourself) you can pull off a suit and turtleneck. You can even wear a suit with matching colour turtleneck. Black suit and black turtleneck is a very sexy look. Just look at Albert wesker
art4.jpg

Remember you have to be HOT to pull off this look. That is, heavier guys do not look good in turtlenecks at all.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We're all tall ,elegant and very smart on Style Forum...

No overweight stalkers on SF...

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frontovik
art4.jpg

Remember you have to be HOT to pull off this look. That is, heavier guys do not look good in turtlenecks at all.

I'm hot like CG *****!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics