• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Supply Small Sizes

DrapeCut

Reaction score
Was looking at Suit Supply and noticed that they make suits in sizes 34 and 32! Who the heck wears a size 32 let alone a 34? How is it economically viable to mass produce menswear in ridiculously tiny sizes?

J.Odelius

Reaction score
Pure guesswork but as someone who is 6'5'' close to 6'6'' I can assure you that not a lot of options exist on the market so I think that the relatively few stores that stock sizes that non-average height people can try on will get a nice share of those people coming to their stores.

Update 1:
Oh and I doubt they are produced in any huge quantities. Probably just enough to have a few around in the store. Atleast judging by my local Suit Supply and their tall sizes.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is it economically viable to mass produce menswear in ridiculously tiny sizes?
First of all, SuSu is a global company. It may be a shock to you that there are plenty of smaller men around the world. At 5’10 and 145 lb I wouldn’t consider myself “ridiculously tiny” but I wear a 36R. If I were 5’7 and 135 lb I’d probably be a 34.
Secondly, it is because of mass production and scale that it is economically viable for SuSu to make smaller (and larger) sizes. Wouldn’t make sense if you produce 100 suits in a given model, but if you make 5000 then sure, why not make 100 or so in 34 and 32?

DrapeCut

Reaction score
First of all, SuSu is a global company. It may be a shock to you that there are plenty of smaller men around the world. At 5’10 and 145 lb I wouldn’t consider myself “ridiculously tiny” but I wear a 36R. If I were 5’7 and 135 lb I’d probably be a 34.
Secondly, it is because of mass production and scale that it is economically viable for SuSu to make smaller (and larger) sizes. Wouldn’t make sense if you produce 100 suits in a given model, but if you make 5000 then sure, why not make 100 or so in 34 and 32?
Well, although 36 is quite small, it is probably common enough (among wearers and sellers) to avoid being properly designated as "ridiculously tiny." I have yet to see too many men who wear a 34 or 32 and feel bad for those that do.

Octoberfile

Reaction score
Since the introduction of slim-fit and extra-slim fit, a lot of younger guys are wanting to buy suits, so I suspect that the 32 to 34 size category has become more profitable as a result of that. I remember when I was a teenager way back when, 36's were almost non-existent in stores and the number of suits sized at 38 were pretty limited as well. I do somehow remember seeing 39R and 39S sizes back then, but my memory is pretty foggy as it's been so long.

hrb

Reaction score
Suitsupply suiting sizes are off by a size or so. Speaking as someone who is a 36r in most suiting brands and occassionally a 38r, I am 34r is SuitSupply through and through. Simply put, the 34r SS jacket measures to the same measurements of a RLPL, Corneliani, etc etc. 36r. My sizing for reference 6ft, 160lbs,29W

lexxdeleon

Reaction score
I know this is an older post, but wanted to chime in since I use to work at Susu and happen to wear these sizes.

They typically did not carry anything in-store in a size 32R (maybe at the larger flagship stores) at the time when I worked there in 2018ish. Very very few 32R are produced, less than 6 for the USA for seasonal stuff typically. These are at the warehouse for online orders, but store associates can see it in inventory and order into store for a customer.

They do have a few 34R in stock in stores and online, these are mainly all season business staple type of suits and jackets. For the seasonal stuff (very few) that they do decide to produce in a 34R, generally less than 12 are made for the USA. Anytime a new season would drop I would check all the pieces I was interested in for a size 34R and order them before the general public could. It's actually a kind of a popular size for Susu employees.

A few Susu associates I've met are nearly a perfect 34R, they're about 5'9 and 135lbs or so. No tailoring needed for them if you they don't mind wearing the hem on the longer side.

I'm 5'7 145lbs or so and can wear a 34R but it's generally a little long for me so sometimes I buy a 36S and take it in. When I weigh less at 130-135lbs I could buy 32R and squeeze into it without having to let anything out and the length being pretty good besides a hem.

Offering more sizes to customers is a good thing IMO. There were also parents buying their teenage kids these sizes as well. I once helped a customer find a suit for her brother for her own wedding - she nearly started crying when she saw him try on a 32R and it fit so well since they were having such a difficult time finding something that fit.

Susu's scaling of sizes is different from most American companies - the difference between each size is smaller than average. So you'll find some guys sizing up from normal (bigger/heavier guys) and others sizing down (smaller/lighter guys) like me - I typically wear a 36S in almost any other brand since that's usually the smallest offering.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, although 36 is quite small, it is probably common enough (among wearers and sellers) to avoid being properly designated as "ridiculously tiny." I have yet to see too many men who wear a 34 or 32 and feel bad for those that do.
The most common sold sizes in the Stockholm shop were 38R 40R 24/25S and 94/98L (long variants). I sold quite a few 34s as well when I worked there. It’s a big company.

velotoff

Reaction score
Was looking at Suit Supply and noticed that they make suits in sizes 34 and 32! Who the heck wears a size 32 let alone a 34? How is it economically viable to mass produce menswear in ridiculously tiny sizes?
Bigotry is not very stylish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads