• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit jacket with no matching pants?

alexle92

Reaction score
Found some Armani Collezione suit jackets at a local goodwill, but with no matching pants. What can I do to accommodate?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found some Armani Collezione suit jackets at a local goodwill, but with no matching pants. What can I do to accommodate?

Welcome to Styleforum.
A suit jacket without its pants is orphaned. Don't waste your money.
If you have to ask a question like this, it means you haven't the skills needed to match items and therefore don't waste your money.
Best to lurk and learn for a few months on the forum and pick up some skills before thrifting. It will all be there when you are ready and you'll be able to make informed and educated decisions and purchases.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lurk and learn, you do have much to learn if you are seriously thinking of this, The coats are orphans and should simply be ignored.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Welcome to Styleforum.
A suit jacket without its pants is orphaned. Don't waste your money.
If you have to ask a question like this, it means you haven't the skills needed to match items and therefore don't waste your money.
Best to lurk and learn for a few months on the forum and pick up some skills before thrifting. It will all be there when you are ready and you'll be able to make informed and educated decisions and purchases.

This.

Lurk and learn, you do have much to learn if you are seriously thinking of this, The coats are orphans and should simply be ignored.

This.

Leave them where you found them. They're useless.

And also, this. Clear enough :nodding:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nothing is that simple. You'll never be able to match the fabric exactly, and it will be apparent to anyone who is even marginally aware what you've done. This apart from the fact that a black suit isn't a great idea to begin with. Actually if the jacket fits you well you may be able to wear it as a "stroller" with patterned grey pants for what used to be an informal (read: just less formal than a morning suit, but more formal than a business suit) outfit, but is not really understood that way any longer.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't try to find similar pants and pretend it is a suit...this looks always ****** (see above). If you have not bought it, then don't do.

However, if you bought it, you can still wear it with jeans to a club or bar ... then you have a jacket with which you don't need to worry if people spill their drinks on it.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Even if its a simple style such as a plain black?

That is simply naive.

Cloths differ, weave. weight etc etc and there are a host of different shades of black. Take the advice that is offered, it is clear and quite precise, if you do not like the advice then go somewhere else.

BCN Citizen

Reaction score
I slightly disagree. Let me explain. IMO there are some suits that let you to use the jacket without their matching trousers. Not as a suit, but as a casual outfit. Navy ones are the epitome. Other ones are not easy to pick up. Charcoal ones are, IMO, no candidates to being split. I beg you consider I live in Spain, and we are suffering a huge crisis, so it is normal to wear a navy jacket with a grey trou even a chinos. A friend of mine, who works a salesman tell me, few weeks ago, that some buyers prefer to have the image that he was also suffering that horrible crisis. For example, forgot to wear a pair of cufflinks.

I’m referring to a casual use and I also realize that some suit jackets, i.e. striped ones, could be absolutely ridiculous with a jeans or chinos. Just an artist of style would be able to combine them.

Of course I agree that would be impossible to find a pair of trousers that match with a previous purchased jacket.

454Casull

Reaction score
Try them as blazers. What do you have to lose?

Though depending on the fabric even that might be out of the question.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I didn't see anybody being a jerk, just giving good advice to a noob. You should read some of the other threads if you would like to see us misbehaving.

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
have you checked the women's section and kids as well? if that returns no joy, toss 'em

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads