1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suit jacket with no matching pants?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by alexle92, Apr 1, 2012.

1. alexle92

alexle92 New Member

Found some Armani Collezione suit jackets at a local goodwill, but with no matching pants. What can I do to accommodate?

2. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Welcome to Styleforum.
    A suit jacket without its pants is orphaned. Don't waste your money.
    If you have to ask a question like this, it means you haven't the skills needed to match items and therefore don't waste your money.
    Best to lurk and learn for a few months on the forum and pick up some skills before thrifting. It will all be there when you are ready and you'll be able to make informed and educated decisions and purchases.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  3. GBR

GBR Senior member

Lurk and learn, you do have much to learn if you are seriously thinking of this, The coats are orphans and should simply be ignored.

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Leave them where you found them. They're useless.

5. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

Well played, young troll. This date serves you well.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  6. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

This.

This.

And also, this. Clear enough :nodding:

7. alexle92

alexle92 New Member

Even if its a simple style such as a plain black?

8. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nothing is that simple. You'll never be able to match the fabric exactly, and it will be apparent to anyone who is even marginally aware what you've done. This apart from the fact that a black suit isn't a great idea to begin with. Actually if the jacket fits you well you may be able to wear it as a "stroller" with patterned grey pants for what used to be an informal (read: just less formal than a morning suit, but more formal than a business suit) outfit, but is not really understood that way any longer.

9. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Don't try to find similar pants and pretend it is a suit...this looks always shitty (see above). If you have not bought it, then don't do.

However, if you bought it, you can still wear it with jeans to a club or bar ... then you have a jacket with which you don't need to worry if people spill their drinks on it.

10. GBR

GBR Senior member

That is simply naive.

Cloths differ, weave. weight etc etc and there are a host of different shades of black. Take the advice that is offered, it is clear and quite precise, if you do not like the advice then go somewhere else.

1 person likes this.
  11. BCN Citizen

BCN Citizen Member

I slightly disagree. Let me explain. IMO there are some suits that let you to use the jacket without their matching trousers. Not as a suit, but as a casual outfit. Navy ones are the epitome. Other ones are not easy to pick up. Charcoal ones are, IMO, no candidates to being split. I beg you consider I live in Spain, and we are suffering a huge crisis, so it is normal to wear a navy jacket with a grey trou even a chinos. A friend of mine, who works a salesman tell me, few weeks ago, that some buyers prefer to have the image that he was also suffering that horrible crisis. For example, forgot to wear a pair of cufflinks.

I’m referring to a casual use and I also realize that some suit jackets, i.e. striped ones, could be absolutely ridiculous with a jeans or chinos. Just an artist of style would be able to combine them.

Of course I agree that would be impossible to find a pair of trousers that match with a previous purchased jacket.

12. 454Casull

454Casull Senior member

Try them as blazers. What do you have to lose?

Though depending on the fabric even that might be out of the question.

13. paulbnyc

paulbnyc Active Member

Why is it necessary for some forum members to give advice and also condescend to newer posters? Is knowing how to dress synonymous with being a jerk? Seems for many here it is.

2 people like this.
  14. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

^ I didn't see anybody being a jerk, just giving good advice to a noob. You should read some of the other threads if you would like to see us misbehaving.

15. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

have you checked the women's section and kids as well? if that returns no joy, toss 'em

16. connor09

connor09 Senior member

wear a blazer instead - a suit jacket with no matching trousers would just look bad.

17. bobbyjenks

bobbyjenks New Member

Guys, you can also Google the style number or call the company. I picked up a Theory black suit jacket and called the company to find the matching pants. They also had the matching pants listed on their website.

18. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

Just wear is as a blazer

19. Steve Papas

Steve Papas Well-Known Member

It can be done. The following is a summery of my research into many different web sites. These many pages of web sites, were in turn summaries of books. I cannot do this topic any justice, if I attempted to summarize this any further. So I will give you guidelines into what research you have to do.

First consideration, style of the jacket? Armani made some pretty awful suits during the 90s, that even if you had the matching trousers, I would not not wear them because they look way outdated. I am talking about jackets with linebacker shoulders. But if it has a classic design, then you can proceed. Find out what constitutes a classic cut suit jacket.

Second consideration, what colours looks good on you. What is your skin tone and hair colour? Black jackets compliments people with black hair and a light to medium skin tone the most. Find out what colours compliment you.

Third consideration is fit. Is the jacket a food fit? Can it be tailored to fit you good? There is a saying that a good fitting cheap suit will look better on you than an expensive ill fitting suit. Find out what constitutes a proper fit.

Final consideration is coordination, You want to find a pair of pants that is tailored in a way that matches a suit trouser. This way the slim, sleek silhouette of the suit is maintained. Then you want to chose and coordinate the right colour pants, shirts, sweaters. shoes etc. This is a science in and off itself. Entire courses are taught in design schools. More research is needed on your part into matching colours.

If this is too much work for you, then stick with a navy blue blazer. It is the most versatile garment you can own. You can pair it with jeans and dress pants. It also goes with so many colours, that any colour that does not match is so obvious that it is hard to go wrong.

Finally, the view that an orphaned suit jackets can be warn is not something that is SF approved. It is my view, and I am in the minority.

20. Steve Papas

Steve Papas Well-Known Member

Some advise. A well dressed ill manned person will leave a negative impression on people. A well dressed gentleman will leave a positive one.

1 person likes this.