• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suit jacket sleeve width advice

atsealvl

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have this BOSS by Hugo Boss suit and I was wondering about perhaps taking in the sleeves a bit so they are a bit tighter. To me they feel a bit too wide and it kind of throws me off and feels bulky. I did read GQ this month and it actually had mentioned this in it and that tailors can bring it in a bit.

I purchased the suit at Harry Rosen, the manager actually said he couldn't bring the sleeves in and that the suit actually fits me well for how I want to wear it (skinny suit). He is a great guy but I have a feeling he is just trying to save on an expensive tailor cost for his business.

Regardless I was interested on your feedback, do you think this is possibly something I should look into resolving via a recommended tailor? I have attached some images for your judgement. I hope I got some good enough angles for you all.

img0082n.jpg

img0083uk.jpg

img0084hzi.jpg

img0085kq.jpg

I honestly feel the jacket is probably a bit too big, probably could have gone a size down, but I'll live with that error of mine and remedy it next time I buy a suit. Also I'm just wearing black nudie jeans. Didn't feel like putting the trousers on. Trying to find a cool tie bar for the skinny tie!

Look forward to your feedback!

laphroaig

Reaction score
The cut just has wide shoulders for a narrow torso. If you feel the shoulders are over extended and not to your taste I would suggest getting a suit with a different silhouette, because in the body it seems to fit very well.

The suit looks quite good in my opinion, although I personally also don't like extended shoulders so I probably wouldn't have gone for that particular style/cut.

A picture or two of the back would be very helpful in showing a bit better how well the suit fits.

IBJanky

Reaction score
The suit shoulders stick out farther than I prefer, but the sleeves look fine to me.

myke

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleeves are okay (slightly wide if you must complain), but the shoulder's just wide.

I hope those tight pants aren't your suit trousers.

atsealvl

Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback everyone. Those aren't my pants they are jeans. I think I have a specific cut in mind I can't achieve with this jacket. I'm ok with that next time I'll know. I'm considering bringing the width in a bit.

I still welcome feedback from others.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Sleeves are okay (slightly wide if you must complain), but the shoulder's just wide.

I hope those tight pants aren't your suit trousers.

I think slim pants (not skin tight) trousers go well (and is the norm) with the whole skinny suit look.

myke

atsealvl

Reaction score
Yeah I like my trousers with no break in them. Just enjoy the streamlined feel. No reason for my skinny legs to have all that extra fabric.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is too big in the shouldrs, the sleeves don't look too bad. You always want a little room in there to allow for movement.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
be careful what you ask for.
if the elbows are too tight, it will bind when the elbow bends. and also wrinkle more.
if the bottom opening is too small, your french cuffs may not come through and bind.
the armhole area cannot be smaller, as it must fit into the armhole.
if the sleeve is "very" narrow and the armhole area remains the same, it will look like a ladies leg o' mutton sleeve.
remember in all things be moderate.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
I think slim pants (not skin tight) trousers go well (and is the norm) with the whole skinny suit look.

myke

I agree. atsealvl, I think you'd be suited for a slim cut. Just don't go overboard, or your pants will wear out easily.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads