• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit critique/opinions/adivce

Powertrip

Reaction score
I'm looking at two suits, basically same price. One is charcoal one is navy. I figured I'd show pics of both and see what your opinions are as far as if they look good as far as fit. I know both need the pants shortened. Also if you think I look better in one vs the other. Thanks. First suit:

Second suit:

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your jacket sleeves are too long. Your pants are too wide and long aswell. And i can't see the fit in here.

Last edited:

Roger Everett

Reaction score
First off , the pics are a bit too dark ( stand against the lighter backround to give contrast ), And I would wear a light or white dress shirt when shopping for a suit, button collar ( and would also give a better pic. ), or at least when going to your tailor for fitting, and advise on alterations. A pic. with the jacket off and pants turned up inside, would give a better view of pant fit.
That said -- shoulders on both seem a bit wide ( could be the cut of the jackets )-- sleeves are long ofcourse -- see a bit of collar roll on both ( good tailor can fix this )-- How tall are you and what size is jacket, as blue seems a pinch long from back. No comment on pants as I can't see much of.

Powertrip

Reaction score
38R for size. I'm between 5'10" and 5'11"

Thanks for the advice. I'll go in better prepared next time :)

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your jacket sleeves are too long. Your pants are too wide and long aswell.

Obviously any OTR suit is going to need the trousers hemmed and the sleeves adjusted.

The trousers do look somewhat baggy and ill-fitting as well, with both suits. Both jackets seem a bit tight across the upper back too. The second one, although far from perfect, looks much better than the first, primarily because the quarters are more open. The closed quarters on the first make it looks very boxy as neither have much shape in the waist.

Powertrip

Reaction score
Can the tightness across the upper back be adjusted or should I be looking at a different size? I'm really out of my depth on keeping track of what can and can't be compensated for. I'm trying to pick up things as fast as I can, though. :)

atila

Reaction score
Well just be prepared to spend anywhere from $50-100 for complete tailoring and contouring of the suit. I like the shoulders better on the charcoal suit but otherwise like the navy one better on you.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the second one better. Is it vented? I can't tell from the picture but if it isn't then I would keep shopping.

ddonicht

Reaction score
If it is your first suit, normally navy will be a better choice. In this case I'm concerned that the navy suit is pulling a bit in the front on that first pic of it. It could just be it wasn't set right in that pic however. As has been said, pants and jacket sleeves should be adjusted on both.

A couple of things to suggest when you are out trying suits on (especially if you are at the tailor getting them adjusted)...
1) Wear a dress shirt. This will make the jacket fit a little different than with a short sleeved t shirt. Unless of course you are planning on wearing the suit mostly with the t shirt. Also, it was suggested that you wear a light colored shirt. For the suits you were trying on, that is absolutely correct. For me, if I'm trying on light colored suits I would wear a dark shirt. I just find the contrast to show things better. Of course that could just be me.
2) Wear your own dress shoes. Those are the shoes you will be wearing the suit with so the drop will be right. Also, you'll be confortable in them so your posture will be "normal". In borrowed shoes you might not stand the same way.

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
Well the pants are deffinately too long, the sleeves look a bit long as well but it is hard to tell without a dress shirt on to compare them.

Powertrip

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the good advice. When trying them on... When I wore the navy one I felt mostly like I looked like an airplane pilot... How do I get rid of that vibe? tie/pocketsquare/accessories?

Thanks.

Also, this is NOT my first suit, but it will be my first new suit since reading style forum. I've got a nice thrift store three piece pinstriped suit as seen in http://www.styleforum.net/t/260194/outfit-fit-critique-please. I paid 21 bucks for it and with the exception of the alterations I still need to do to the pants, I think it fits me well overall.

As for the shoes... The ones I was wearing are a pair of Chaps $50 jobbers that I have because at work I'm standing on my feet for nigh on 9 hours a shift and these were the dressiest shoes I could find that both took a nice shine and gave my foot the support I need. I've yet to step up to a nice dress shoe but that's on the list of priorities.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads