• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit brands for 29'' waist and 42'' shoulders - A wardrobe expansion

Kraken

Reaction score
[NOTICE TO READ: If a long post annoys you, you can simply read the 1st and last paragraph.]

After browsing the forums and having learned what proper fit is, I am currently faced with an issue. I know that the RTW clothes I bought don't fit me will and I concluded that MTM/Bespoke is the only way to go. The problem is that I have a pronounced V shape and I am also very thin. I am 6' 2'' tall and weight 145 pounds. To get a good fit on RTW suits, I would need 42''-40'' shoulders and 29''-31'' waists. I am 23 years old and a graduated from university 2 years ago.

Because of that, I started buying some MTM clothes. I got 6 MTM shirts and a bespoke blazer at a local italian tailor in Ottawa. I also bought 3 kent wang shirts which I needed to slim the waist by an additional 4''. Unfortunatly, the 2 suits I own are RTW and don't fit that great, but they are my only suits. I am an external auditor for a Big 4 accounting firm and I need to dress professionally. My responsabilities are increasing and I am expecting to be manager in 2- years. I have to scale my wardrobe up to then. I currently have a large selection of ties and pocket squares so I don't appear to look the same every day. I am also slowly acquiring a collection of chained cufflinks.

I am looking into buying a new suit around December. My initial plans were to get another bespoke suit from my local tailor. I am confidant the fit will be better than that of my blazer since it is a second commission. His prices are a bit step, but there are not many good tailors in the area and he has a very good reputation. I feel confidant in his skills. A suit with the fabric I wanted would cost about 1,700 and 2,300 with an extra pair of trousers. I am also considering making it a 3 piece suit (2-button peaked) with one of the trousers to be worn with suspenders. I have never worn suspenders and I want to know if I like them or not. Usually when I wear a belt it is just for show since the trousers can rest above my waist bones.

With that said, the dilemna I am facing is at this rate, it will be very slow for me to expand my wardrobe. I am a crazy perfectionnist and in the long run I should be perfectly happy with my wardrobe. But then again, maybe I am wrong to having abandonned 'commercial' suit brands? Maybe I just didn't look hard enought or at the right places and I could buy suits that would equally fit me?

Is there any brands that you think would suit the bill? Does anyone have a better strategy to expand my wardrobe? If more information is needed, I will repost but I already feel bad because I can never make a short post... Thanks for the help!

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your shoulders or your chest is 42"? Shoulders that size aren't that wide.

Do you need a suit or will odd jackets work?

LAPL

Reaction score
I wear a 42 R in suits and I have a waist that is 28.5-29 inches as well. However, unlike you, I am 6'0 175lbs. All of the suits I currently own are Ralph Lauren Black Label suits and they fit great. They have a 7 inch drop from the chest to the waist which only comes to a 35, but my tailor is able to re-cut the pants to eventually make them fit great. In addition the jacket needs a lot of work, but the end result is always great for me. Besides bespoke, this has been the best option I have come across. You can find RLBL suits on this board for relatively cheap prices. Hope this helps.

Kraken

Reaction score
The 42'' correspond to suit measurements, not sure if that is based on chest or shoulders. That is usually the size to fit my shoulders right. I took some measurements of my actual body (bodybuilder style) and here are the precise numbers:

36'' chest (measured under armpits)
45'' shoulders (measured by wrapping around body)
29'' waist (above waist bone and under belly button)

I will take another look at RLBL as was suggested. Do they all have the same cut or should I look for a particular suit?

I actually prefer suits but odd jackets are fine. The suits are required for important meetings. Some of the juniors occasionally wear suits and I don't want to be dressed down all the time. As a result I want to wear suits a minimum of 3 days a week.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
36" Body Builder style chest?

Seriously i must be mr. Olympia with my 38" chest.

Honestly your shoulders are probably normal and you probably wear a 38 or 36 Reg.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judging by your over arm measurement your probably a stock size. I actually have a 36" chest but I have the shoulder of a size 40"..........adding to problems with buying off the rack I have a big ass too.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
Judging by your over arm measurement your probably a stock size. I actually have a 36" chest but I have the shoulder of a size 40"..........adding to problems with buying off the rack I have a big ass too.

or is that what the ladies tell you?

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LAPL
I wear a 42 R in suits and I have a waist that is 28.5-29 inches as well. However, unlike you, I am 6'0 175lbs. All of the suits I currently own are Ralph Lauren Black Label suits and they fit great. They have a 7 inch drop from the chest to the waist which only comes to a 35, but my tailor is able to re-cut the pants to eventually make them fit great. In addition the jacket needs a lot of work, but the end result is always great for me. Besides bespoke, this has been the best option I have come across. You can find RLBL suits on this board for relatively cheap prices. Hope this helps.

+1

I wear a 42R, my waist is 32. Wide shoulders, narrow waist... 5'11 175 lbs. RLBL fits great for me, although I too have to have the pants worked on some. Well worth it though. Keep an eye out for a seller named "Holdfast" on here, he often sells Black Label at good prices. I just purchased a charcoal suit from him, it is beautiful. Good luck!

EZ

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kraken
The 42'' correspond to suit measurements, not sure if that is based on chest or shoulders. That is usually the size to fit my shoulders right. I took some measurements of my actual body (bodybuilder style) and here are the precise numbers:

But you're wearing a 42? Only way that makes sense is if it's some slim cut narrow shouldered brand. You'd be swimming in a normal 42. I'd be swimming in a 42 and I'm bigger then you.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Suit sizes are based on chest measurement, so you have a 36" chest but wear a size 42? You should really post some pics as I can't see how you can possibly wear a suit 3 sizes too big without it looking 3 sizes too big.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
+1

I wear a 42R, my waist is 32. Wide shoulders, narrow waist... 5'11 175 lbs. RLBL fits great for me, although I too have to have the pants worked on some. Well worth it though. Keep an eye out for a seller named "Holdfast" on here, he often sells Black Label at good prices. I just purchased a charcoal suit from him, it is beautiful. Good luck!

EZ

Actually, sadly, he hardly puts stuff up for sale anymore.
frown.gif

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will take another look at RLBL as was suggested. Do they all have the same cut or should I look for a particular suit?

I actually prefer suits but odd jackets are fine. The suits are required for important meetings. Some of the juniors occasionally wear suits and I don't want to be dressed down all the time. As a result I want to wear suits a minimum of 3 days a week.

You have a 36 inch chest but are wearing a 42 jacket? Huh?

LAPL

Reaction score
Judging by your posted measurements you aren't a 42 in suits, but rather a 36. That being said, you'd probably take a 36 in a Ralph Lauren Black Label which means the pants would be a 29. This would fit you perfectly and most likely need very little alterations. I'd recommend going to a store that sells RLBL and trying on a 36 and potentially a 38, but I HIGHLY doubt that you wear a 42 in suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads