• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Advice/Critique Please!

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey all, I have reserved this 2B navy blue pinstripe Muji suit with slightly slanted(hacking?) pockets, single vent, and would like to seek your expert opinions before purchasing.

With my tight budget and urgent need (require it wearable by next Tuesday for a business study trip to China/HK), I think that this suit seems to fit my requirements almost perfectly.

This will be my second suit, and my other suit (pics below) is a grey 3B pinstripe, also by Muji. These suits run about the equivalent of only $180, and are made of wool (no detailed info, and I'm no pro!). I also intend to get a solid charcoal/navy 2B MTM suit next as an interview suit.
\t
I would greatly appreciate any and all critiques/input on style, fit and required alterations... thanks in advance!

(FYI, I was wearing a short-sleeved button down, but the sleeve length, based on measurements, should be about perfect.)

Front:
blue1.jpg

Side:
blue2.jpg

Rear:
blue3.jpg

Fabric closeup (color is a little off, it's def. a navy blue IRL):
blue4.jpg

My other suit:
grey1.jpg

Hans

Reaction score
The suit looks a little bit wide on the shoulders. Have you tried one size smaller?

Are you sure you want to wear wool in China in the summer? It is going to be HOT and you will SWEAT. How about buying a summer suit?

jcriswel

Reaction score
The fit of the suit looks pretty good to me if you need something in a hurry. If any alterations, besides hemming the trousers, are required, they will be minor. I think the shoulders look a little wide only because they are "roped shoulders". The chest and waist look clean. You have a little roll under the collar in the back which can easily be fixed later if you don't have time now. You have open lower quarters but they look like they were designed in. Personally I think you're in pretty good shape.

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hans: The suits don't get any smaller than this... Most 36Rs are way big for me, and this seems to be the smallest I can find in Singapore. It's going to be hot as hell for sure, but the organisers of the trip insist on full suit etc. Singapore's also pretty damn hot, so I've been well prepared...

jcriswel: Thanks! I do indeed like the open quarters and shorter jacket length too, in fact.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads