• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions for decorating/pimping my new office?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the first time ever, I actually have my own office and I'm looking for little ways to personalize it, anything that's a conversation starter for people walking into my office is a plus.

So far I've only done a few things, I have shelf for my degrees, a framed print of a magazine article I was featured in, a few metal prints of some of my travel photos on the wall, and a few kidrobot collectibles inconspicously on a ledge by my computer. I have limited space, but would like something more to personalize my space. Any suggestions?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hasn't there been a similar thread before and the consensus here was "Don't"

Not that I agree with that completely (and I am about to move into my own office as well), but you don't want to be the guy with piles of toys on his desk. You also don't want to have so much crap that it can't all be removed in a single trip/

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't get attached to an office, and certainly don't put any energy into personalizing it. I have two that are both nice, but neither has been intentionally personalized, so to speak.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leave the overhead lights off and bring your own lamps.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Never heard about using your own lamps.. granted, it'll be awhile until I'm in a position to have an office.

What's the reasoning behind using your own lights?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Never heard about using your own lamps.. granted, it'll be awhile until I'm in a position to have an office.
What's the reasoning behind using your own lights?

Overhead lights are too harsh, at least for my tender eyes. Lamps also create a more welcoming and relaxing ambiance. I do turn on the overhead lights when I'm having meetings at my conference table, but for one-on-one discussions and such, the overheads are off.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see no reason not to personalize it some...You do spend a significant amount of time there--just don't be the guy who has bought every cubicle toy that thinkgeek sells.

sns23

Reaction score
Cover that wall. I have ~10 academic awards and diplomas. Could use more wall space.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Cover that wall. I have ~10 academic awards and diplomas. Could use more wall space.

Oh no, please don't do this unless you're a healthcare professional or an attorney.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A plant or two. A few paintings. your own lamp. You don't want to clutter the space but it's definitely good to add a personal touch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads