• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede Chukka: Vass U or C&J 348?

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that Plal has the C&J Tetbury is suede I'm considering ordering it instead of the Vass suede chukka. I'm thinking that the U last and the 348 last are too similar to warrant paying twice the price for the Vass. On the flipside, I'm so smitten with most of the pictures I see of the U last that I think maybe I should hold out and get the Vass.

So...those of you that have experience with both lasts....which model would you go for?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by william
Now that Plal has the C&J Tetbury is suede I'm considering ordering it instead of the Vass suede chukka. I'm thinking that the U last and the 348 last are too similar to warrant paying twice the price for the Vass. On the flipside, I'm so smitten with most of the pictures I see of the U last that I think maybe I should hold out and get the Vass.

So...those of you that have experience with both lasts....which model would you go for?

I was very unimpressed with the suede quality of the C&J suede Chukka I had (the handgrade one they did for Polo a while back). The Tetbury is benchgrade, I think, so I would assume the quality overall is better than the one I had but I very much doubt that it will be in the Vass quality league. But, as you sais, it is twice the price so that brings up the age old question "is X twice as good as Y"? The answer is different for everyone.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. This is the type of info I was after. In the end I'll probably end up getting the Vass anyway so I'll probably just save my $$ and hold out for the Vass.

mussel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I was very unimpressed with the suede quality of the C&J suede Chukka I had (the handgrade one they did for Polo a while back). The Tetbury is benchgrade, I think, so I would assume the quality overall is better than the one I had but I very much doubt that it will be in the Vass quality league. But, as you sais, it is twice the price so that brings up the age old question "is X twice as good as Y"? The answer is different for everyone.

Why do you think the Benchgrade suede quality is better than Handgrade?

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you're smitten with Vass U last, but are you also smitten with C&J 348? I'd pick Vass U over 2 pairs of C&J 348 in a New York minute. This one rare case where you pay double the price and get something more than twice as good. Go for the Vass. End of discussion.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
So you're smitten with Vass U last, but are you also smitten with C&J 348? I'd pick Vass U over 2 pairs of C&J 348 in a New York minute. This one rare case where you pay double the price and get something more than twice as good. Go for the Vass. End of discussion.

Good then. It's settled.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any one else have an opinion on this as i am also contemplating these two shoes? thanks.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i have never dealt with Vass suede, but here is the thing:

vass is not twice as better than C&J tetbury even though the cost is twice as much.
so you buy the tetbury...
you wear it a few times, and you , as well as me, and every other shoe connosseuir here, psychologically you will not be satisfied deeply knowing that you had an opportunity to buy a vass and did not and just settling for tetbury.

later you will see photos of others vass' on u last and how superlative and luxurious they look and everyone basically is smitten by their U last. they are proud of them. they are fully satisfied.

you know your tetbury are satisfactory. they are comfortable, you get complements at work, they pass. but you find yourself itching for that vass as you want that superlative,
and you end up selling the tetbury at a B&S price trying to recoup some of that , "barely worn mint condition , $250?" so that you can get that vass.

get the vass

dont let your money (if you have it , planned it) dictate what you eventually get and settle , get what your heart fully set out for .

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Vass, case closed.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
i have never dealt with Vass suede, but here is the thing:

vass is not twice as better than C&J tetbury even though the cost is twice as much.
so you buy the tetbury...
you wear it a few times, and you , as well as me, and every other shoe connosseuir here, psychologically you will not be satisfied deeply knowing that you had an opportunity to buy a vass and did not and just settling for tetbury.

later you will see photos of others vass' on u last and how superlative and luxurious they look and everyone basically is smitten by their U last. they are proud of them. they are fully satisfied.

you know your tetbury are satisfactory. they are comfortable, you get complements at work, they pass. but you find yourself itching for that vass as you want that superlative,
and you end up selling the tetbury at a B&S price trying to recoup some of that , "barely worn mint condition , $250?" so that you can get that vass.

get the vass

dont let your money (if you have it , planned it) dictate what you eventually get and settle , get what your heart fully set out for .

Very well said Brian.

That's my mentality now with all my clothing purchases, from socks to shirt to pants to jacket.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel

I also have the said suede Polo chukka. I did not know it was made by C&J until now (but I guess I should have as it's got three nails at the heel). Anyway, what makes you so dissapointed witht the suede quality? I thought it was not bad.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hated it. Seemed very cheap given the quality that C&J puts out. I like a very "tight" nap on my suede, for lack of a better description. I did not like the way they were wearing. That is also what has kept me from buying the Drummond, although I need to really inspect it at T&A to see if it's the same suede. Many will disagree, but the suede that Ferragamo uses in it's Nostro wholecut (which is not the same suede as it uses on it's brogue which many here have), is far superior to what I have seen from C&J. I plan on trying out the Vass suede out at the end of the year.

Nostro second from left.
KIF_6327.jpg

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please let us know about the suede Drummond at T&A. I have been REAL close to ordering that from Plal several times.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Vass, case closed.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Andrew, can you explain your preference for Vass? I only ask because I've read posts where you sing the praises of C&J's 348 including the drummond, hallam, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads