• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sub-$150 daily beater watch

opticalserenity

Reaction score
I also recommend Seiko's under $150. Can't beat the quality and warranty of a Seiko in that range. The Seiko SKX007, for example, can be found in that range and is an automatic.

Also, if you want a classic look and are willing to wait, Getat has Panerai homages that are gorgeous and have a really classic look. You can find those shipped for your budget but you have to wait 4 weeks or so shipping from Asia to the states. I have a Getat that keeps great time. Find one in titanium with nice thick leather straps and they are so comfortable you won't know it's on your wrist.

Sent from my iPad

ellsbebc

Reaction score
Seiko skx007. It's an automatic and takes a beating. Some regard it as the best value for the price in entire watch industry

EngProf

Reaction score
Citizen Eco-Drive Men's Canvas Strap Watch #BM8180-03E. It's a quartz, charges on sunlight. Not as elegant as the Stowa.

fazalmajid

Reaction score
If I were you, I'd get one of the recently reissued Braun watches. They are quartz, not mechanical, but the design by Dietrich Lubs and Dieter Rams is timeless. My everyday watch is an IWC portuguese, but I'll often wear my Braun, as I did today.

Breedlove

Reaction score
Great watches. Good movement. Your wallet will thank you.
But I'd have to say that the absurd amount of choices you have (along with the availability of mods) is probably the best thing about these. Unfortunately, this is also one of the worst things about these watches... I spent an entire month trying to decide which one to buy (still deciding by the way).

Last edited:

Big T

Reaction score
Some of the Luminox are in that range. Swiss made and wear like a tank.

By the way, I have a Seiko 5, one with a Khaki or green watch band and I'm not satisfied at all. The watch is very nice looking, but 1. if not on my wrist, after about 7 or 8 hours, it starts losing time and stops completely at about 9 hours (this after all day wearing) and 2. although it is supposed to be somewhat water resistant, it seems to take on water like a sponge, meaning if I wash my hands, I had better take this watch off, less I splash a few drops of water on it. Others seem to have better luck with Seiko, but not me.

Last edited:

Ebonyman

Reaction score
This Orient retails for less than $150 and keeps great time. It has a rotating internal bezel as well.

SidewinderX

Reaction score
I stick by Timex. For $30, you can pick between a lot of different color Easy Readers and Weekenders. Buy them from Target.

I love my weekender -- best completely casual watch I've had. Lightweight, nice looking, and tons of options! Plus, only being $30 is hard to beat.

Gonzo

Reaction score
But I'd have to say that the absurd amount of choices you have (along with the availability of mods) is probably the best thing about these.
Got to agree with this! For those who like a bit of variety, cheap Seiko automatics can't be beaten.

Gratuitous poor man watch shots below:

randomhero88

Reaction score
Seiko, Sturhling, and Skagen are all watches that should be under your budget.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, I'd recommend going with a Hamilton or a Tissot. Hamilton actually makes an excellent watch. In some of their automatics, they use the same movement that Breitling, Baume et Mercier and other $2k+ watches use.

If you value quality and value a Seiko or a Hamilton are your best bet in my opinion. They have a solid history, are very economical, and are some of the best built watches for under $500.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads