Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sub-$150 daily beater watch

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by svelten, Jun 8, 2012.

1. opticalserenity

opticalserenity Member

I also recommend Seiko's under $150. Can't beat the quality and warranty of a Seiko in that range. The Seiko SKX007, for example, can be found in that range and is an automatic.

Also, if you want a classic look and are willing to wait, Getat has Panerai homages that are gorgeous and have a really classic look. You can find those shipped for your budget but you have to wait 4 weeks or so shipping from Asia to the states. I have a Getat that keeps great time. Find one in titanium with nice thick leather straps and they are so comfortable you won't know it's on your wrist.

Sent from my iPad

2. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

Seiko skx007. It's an automatic and takes a beating. Some regard it as the best value for the price in entire watch industry

3. EngProf

EngProf Senior member

Citizen Eco-Drive Men's Canvas Strap Watch #BM8180-03E. It's a quartz, charges on sunlight. Not as elegant as the Stowa.

4. fazalmajid

fazalmajid Senior member

If I were you, I'd get one of the recently reissued Braun watches. They are quartz, not mechanical, but the design by Dietrich Lubs and Dieter Rams is timeless. My everyday watch is an IWC portuguese, but I'll often wear my Braun, as I did today.

5. Breedlove

Breedlove Senior member

Great watches. Good movement. Your wallet will thank you.
    But I'd have to say that the absurd amount of choices you have (along with the availability of mods) is probably the best thing about these. Unfortunately, this is also one of the worst things about these watches... I spent an entire month trying to decide which one to buy (still deciding by the way).

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

6. Big T

Big T Senior member

Some of the Luminox are in that range. Swiss made and wear like a tank.

By the way, I have a Seiko 5, one with a Khaki or green watch band and I'm not satisfied at all. The watch is very nice looking, but 1. if not on my wrist, after about 7 or 8 hours, it starts losing time and stops completely at about 9 hours (this after all day wearing) and 2. although it is supposed to be somewhat water resistant, it seems to take on water like a sponge, meaning if I wash my hands, I had better take this watch off, less I splash a few drops of water on it. Others seem to have better luck with Seiko, but not me.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

7. Ebonyman

Ebonyman Senior member

This Orient retails for less than $150 and keeps great time. It has a rotating internal bezel as well.

[​IMG]

8. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

9. Ebonyman

Ebonyman Senior member

10. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Senior member

I love my weekender -- best completely casual watch I've had. Lightweight, nice looking, and tons of options! Plus, only being $30 is hard to beat.

11. weenston

weenston New Member

12. Gonzo

Gonzo Well-Known Member

Got to agree with this! For those who like a bit of variety, cheap Seiko automatics can't be beaten.

Gratuitous poor man watch shots below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

14. closetmess

closetmess Senior member

You can pickup a mid-90s mint condition Tag Heuer F1 for around $100-150.

15. randomhero88

randomhero88 Well-Known Member

Seiko, Sturhling, and Skagen are all watches that should be under your budget.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, I'd recommend going with a Hamilton or a Tissot. Hamilton actually makes an excellent watch. In some of their automatics, they use the same movement that Breitling, Baume et Mercier and other $2k+ watches use.

If you value quality and value a Seiko or a Hamilton are your best bet in my opinion. They have a solid history, are very economical, and are some of the best built watches for under $500.