1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sub-$150 daily beater watch

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by svelten, Jun 8, 2012.

1. svelten

svelten Senior member

So I have this problem where I'm constantly denting, scratching or even losing watches, the last victim being a nice Hamilton Khaki hence outside of formal occasions I would rather wear something cheap and disposable for daily use and travelling. What would you recommend I look into? Strictly nothing over $150 new or used. I'm not as concerned about mechanics as I am about having something with a good, timeless style. One of my favorite looking, more affordable watches is the Stowa Airman but that's way out of my prince range.

Thanks

2. Bearin

Bearin Member

Gilt has some Akribos XXIV around that range. Some with automatic movements and others with quartz. sale ends tomorrow

Not sure how good they are though.

3. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

4. Poindexter

Poindexter Senior member

Yup. Sea-Gull, too.

5. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

how did you lose a watch?

6. svelten

svelten Senior member

Thanks for the ideas. I had the Seiko 5 in mind but was hoping to see if there was anything else. The seagull watches look really good - not sure about the quality, I've never heard of the brand but will take a closer look. Can't find anything I like for less than $150 yet from them though

7. svelten

svelten Senior member

I have a stupid habit of taking them off frequently as they are generally uncomfortable on my wrist after a long day, especially while travelling which I do quite often throughout the year. I've lost an average of one every couple of years ever since I've started working and each of the watches have been at least $300-$500. I can stomach randomly losing something cheap and replaceable and chalk it up to incidental travel expenditure. They're honestly the only things I ever lose. It's too bad watches are such a hallmark of men's style because I hate the feeling of them on my wrist.

8. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Lots of men don't wear watches. Sounds like you should be one of them.

9. kev777

kev777 Senior member

This !!! i know i know more than you asked for but its such a nice watch !!!

Edit on ebay its $120 result !!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  10. albeindc

albeindc Senior member

Sounds like you need to get straps that actually fit your wrist or find case sizes that make sense for your arm/hand size.

The Seiko 5 suggestions are good. Also look into Timex and Citizen for some solid, reliable, inexpensive pieces. Tissot has some PRC models that work as dailywear under the $150 mark.

11. q6312

q6312 Member

Have you looked at Orient ? I got a Black Mako for around $130 for everyday wear and it's great. Really impressed for the price.

1 person likes this.
  12. Marsimaxam

Marsimaxam New Member

13. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

14. Essential

Essential Senior member

I stick by Timex. For $30, you can pick between a lot of different color Easy Readers and Weekenders. Buy them from Target.

15. opticalserenity

opticalserenity Member

I also recommend Seiko's under $150. Can't beat the quality and warranty of a Seiko in that range. The Seiko SKX007, for example, can be found in that range and is an automatic.

Also, if you want a classic look and are willing to wait, Getat has Panerai homages that are gorgeous and have a really classic look. You can find those shipped for your budget but you have to wait 4 weeks or so shipping from Asia to the states. I have a Getat that keeps great time. Find one in titanium with nice thick leather straps and they are so comfortable you won't know it's on your wrist.

Sent from my iPad

16. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

Seiko skx007. It's an automatic and takes a beating. Some regard it as the best value for the price in entire watch industry

17. EngProf

EngProf Senior member

Citizen Eco-Drive Men's Canvas Strap Watch #BM8180-03E. It's a quartz, charges on sunlight. Not as elegant as the Stowa.

18. fazalmajid

fazalmajid Well-Known Member

If I were you, I'd get one of the recently reissued Braun watches. They are quartz, not mechanical, but the design by Dietrich Lubs and Dieter Rams is timeless. My everyday watch is an IWC portuguese, but I'll often wear my Braun, as I did today.

19. Breedlove

Breedlove Senior member

Great watches. Good movement. Your wallet will thank you.
    But I'd have to say that the absurd amount of choices you have (along with the availability of mods) is probably the best thing about these. Unfortunately, this is also one of the worst things about these watches... I spent an entire month trying to decide which one to buy (still deciding by the way).

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012