• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylish responses to annoying waitresses who don't assume you want your change?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
once i paid a 38.87 dollar bill with 2 twenties, and when the waitress never returned i demanded to see the manager and exclaimed out loud i want my hard earned 1.13 back NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously. if they ask do you want or need your change back, i just say yes or no. it never crossed my mind until i saw this thread

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
once i paid a 38.87 dollar bill with 2 twenties, and when the waitress never returned i demanded to see the manager and exclaimed out loud i want my hard earned 1.13 back NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously. if they ask do you want or need your change back, i just say yes or no. it never crossed my mind until i saw this thread

It would depend on my mood. If I was feeling particularly generous, I wouldn't go
ffffuuuu.gif
over giving away 1.13. Then again, we should just take Amerika's advice.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Use a credit card. Problem solved.

Originally Posted by amerikajinda
you could pay with larger bills... e.g., if the bill is $18.25 and you leave a $20 on the table, then I could see her asking that question (although the correct procedure for waiters/waitresses is to ALWAYS bring change and never ask "do you want change") but at iHop I can see her asking if you need change when the bill is $18.25 and you have a $20 on the table. But if you pay with a $50 or a $100, then there would be no confusion.

It is a rude question... "do you need change" grates on my ears as well. I'd respond, "if it's not too much trouble" and see if she picks up on the sarcasm - she probably wouldn't.

Either one of these would work.

You could also skip eating out one night and use the money saved to buy a bottle of Xanax (or something else to chill you out), because this hardly seems like something worth your concern.

I've never even considered being bothered by this. In my experience they don't count the cash at the table. As such, they have no idea how much money I've handed over, so I don't take it as an inappropriate question. I also understand servers are quite busy, and I don't mind them asking questions that might save them a couple of trips back to the table.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ I know. ^__^

jdcpa

Reaction score
The only time this bothers me is when the server does not ask or bring the change at all. I've been to a few resurants where the bill was around $15 and I gave $20. The server never asked about change and never brought any. She just took the $20 and kept the $5. I would likely have given a tip around that amount but the fact that the sever simply took it and didn't even ask about change bothered me. Of course, I asked for it and did not leave a tip.

Montrachet

Reaction score
If we're looking for stylish responses, then "yes", "no" and "please" pretty much round out the list.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I vote this screen name for the troll that comes up with the most anal retentive threaks.

Another solution would be to just have your major domo deal with the inferiors. Works for me.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
You could also skip eating out one night and use the money saved to buy a bottle of Xanax (or something else to chill you out), because this hardly seems like something worth your concern.

I like this^

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When handing them payment for the bill casually say that you'd like your change back for the tip. Something along these lines will never give them chance to ask you this presumptuous question. You'll no longer have to spend time worrying about it.

Or you can just brush off the statement when asked simply say "yes". Then simply go about talking to the people at your table not giving it much thought.

Intelligent Design

Reaction score
Tell her you voted for Obama.

For myself, I never even wait for change when I'm in the states, there's a reason you have paper dollars.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shouldn't the threak title be:
Stylish responses to annoying waitresses who assume you don't want your change?

It just seems to read better.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff

Some people have too much time on their hands, eh?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to put too fine a point on previous advice but:

1. Get lump of coal

2. Insert in ass

3. Wait a few days, **** out diamond

4. Repeat

5. Sell diamonds

6(a). Buy restaurant with money, fire waitress

OR

6(b). Start tipping with $100 bills

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads