• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylish Non-Clothing Things

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Waxed Canvas Lunch Tote from Artifact Bag Co.

Lunch has never been the same. Why not carry a lunch bag made of the same materials I appreciate in hard-wearing garments and other bags?

Quote:

I have a stylish, non-clothing solution to this problem:

Not a good photo, but I had this model refrigerator in a former apartment. Small, and the freezer does not defrost automatically, but I think it is aesthetically superior to almost all contemporary refrigerators.

mcbrown

Reaction score
Lots of beautiful, purposeful-looking sports cars here. I like beautiful, purposeful-looking sports cars. But I love ugly, implausible-looking sports cars:

Bonus points for my wife finding this car absolutely adorable. If you want to draw crowds of male gawkers, drive a Ferrari. If you want to draw crowds of smiling young ladies, drive a cute hatchback.

(No I don't own one, and no that is not my garage.)

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There isn't enough old italian in this thread.

... still waiting for the quality of posts in MC Casual to improve...

mcbrown

Reaction score
On the more practical/attainable side of the auto spectrum, one of my favorite car designs of the 2000s:

It is not likely to fuel the wet dreams of teenage boys, but from a design perspective I think it was just about perfect. Neither beautiful like a sports car nor in-your-face macho like a Hummer, the Allroad was everything you wanted in a "go-anywhere/do-anything" car, and nothing you didn't. Offroad, it outperformed 98% of the ghastly SUVs that were just starting to take over the American auto market. Onroad, it provided the performance and polite road manners of a proper car, not a rollover-prone high-center-of-gravity glorified truck. It managed to perform in both settings thanks to a clever airbag suspension system, increasing and decreasing ground clearance as required. The drivetrain was based on Audi's instant-classic 2.7L twin turbo engine. The exterior design was German austerity at its finest. The interior was simultaneously luxurious, spartan, and intuitive, like all Audis.

This car was the pinnacle of the station wagon. It demonstrated conclusively that there was almost no reason for the average person to buy an SUV when a car like this, superior in every conceivable way, was available. It was the car to obliterate the myth of the SUV once and for all.

Unfortunately, it turns out that Americans just like riding around in big, heavy, high-riding trucks, because we are dumb. This is why we can't have nice things like the Allroad and the S4 Avant anymore. Instead, Audi now sells us monstrosities like the Q7 (shudder).

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lots of beautiful, purposeful-looking sports cars here. I like beautiful, purposeful-looking sports cars. But I love ugly, implausible-looking sports cars:

I love those, the local Peugeot dealer has a black one in the showroom, as a show piece.

On the more practical/attainable side of the auto spectrum, one of my favorite car designs of the 2000s:

It is not likely to fuel the wet dreams of teenage boys, but from a design perspective I think it was just about perfect. Neither beautiful like a sports car nor in-your-face macho like a Hummer, the Allroad was everything you wanted in a "go-anywhere/do-anything" car, and nothing you didn't. Offroad, it outperformed 98% of the ghastly SUVs that were just starting to take over the American auto market. Onroad, it provided the performance and polite road manners of a proper car, not a rollover-prone high-center-of-gravity glorified truck. It managed to perform in both settings thanks to a clever airbag suspension system, increasing and decreasing ground clearance as required. The drivetrain was based on Audi's instant-classic 2.7L twin turbo engine. The exterior design was German austerity at its finest. The interior was simultaneously luxurious, spartan, and intuitive, like all Audis.
This car was the pinnacle of the station wagon. It demonstrated conclusively that there was almost no reason for the average person to buy an SUV when a car like this, superior in every conceivable way, was available. It was the car to obliterate the myth of the SUV once and for all.
Unfortunately, it turns out that Americans just like riding around in big, heavy, high-riding trucks, because we are dumb. This is why we can't have nice things like the Allroad and the S4 Avant anymore. Instead, Audi now sells us monstrosities like the Q7 (shudder).

When you think about stylish cars you think about a lifted a A6 avant with plastic fenders?

I wouldn't have thought anyone would consider that stylish, it's like calling a Volvo 240 stylish.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

I love those, the local Peugeot dealer has a black one in the showroom.

When you think about stylish cars you think about a lifted a A6 avant with plastic fenders?

I wouldn't have thought anyone would consider that stylish, it's like calling a Volvo 240 stylish.

LOL

I have a Subaru Outback sedan. All the benefits of the AllRoad with slightly uglier (carefully note the adjective) appearance, lower price and TCO, better reliability and safety ratings. And mine came with a Macintosh stereo :)

(yes, I preferred the AllRoad at first but I'm very happy with the 'Ru)

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

LOL
I have a Subaru Outback sedan. All the benefits of the AllRoad with slightly uglier (carefully note the adjective) appearance, lower price and TCO, better reliability and safety ratings. And mine came with a Macintosh stereo :)
(yes, I preferred the AllRoad at first but I'm very happy with the 'Ru)

I didn't say the A6 C5 allroad was ugly (well it is a little), I just wouldn't call it stylish, as it's fairly bland to look at.

As far as I know the Allroad has the same Thorsen diff, as the normal quattro a6 avants, so it's basically a styling package with lifted suspension, special seats, and plastic fenders.

BMW 3.0 CLS
tumblr_m0mo1zanos1qzleu4

mcbrown

Reaction score

I love those, the local Peugeot dealer has a black one in the showroom, as a show piece.

I hear you. To each their own, I suppose. I consider the Volvo 240 quite stylish. "Boxy but good" works for me. It is not "sexy" like a classic Ferrari, but neither is a Brooks Brothers blue blazer, and yet the latter is also stylish in its way.

mcbrown

Reaction score

I didn't say the A6 C5 allroad was ugly (well it is a little), I just wouldn't call it stylish, as it's fairly bland to look at.
As far as I know the Allroad has the same Thorsen diff, as the normal quattro a6 avants, so it's basically a styling package with lifted suspension, special seats, and plastic fenders.
BMW 3.0 CLS
tumblr_m0mo1zanos1qzleu4

I think that undersells the Allroad's capabilities quite a bit - to me it's like saying the RS4 was just an A4 with a V8 and flared fenders. But we're not here to debate cars, so I will just agree to disagree on the Allroad.

One thing we can clearly agree on is that BMW. Beautiful, beautiful car. And just boxy enough for me to not be self-conscious of driving it. :)

recondite

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy