• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

************* STYLEFORUM X EPAULET NEW YORK TRAINERS/SNEAKERS **************

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
high top shell ? . . . . hell yeah

can we put an epaulet logo on the ankle bone similar to the old school converse.

neutrino

Reaction score
high top shell ? . . . . shell yeah
FTFY
satisfied.gif

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't the whole point of a material like shell is that it's durable and will last multiple resoles/years of wear?
I'm really not trying to troll, but I'm legit trying to understand the point of what is essentially a shell Achilles.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't the whole point of a material like shell is that it's durable and will last multiple resoles/years of wear?
I'm really not trying to troll, but I'm legit trying to understand the point of what is essentially a shell Achilles.

I think that the point is not so much the durability of shell (and it's been said that this cordovan is thinner than the cordovan used by Alden and Carmina for their shoes, anyway), but more because some people simply like the look of shell - it requires little care, doesn't wrinkle too badly (as it tends to "roll" more than wrinkle) and has a real warmth and depth of colour. So, whilst I could be wrong, I think that it's those qualities that have attracted people in this case, rather than longevity.

Also, these are priced at US$295, whereas CPs sell for $400 from places like End, so there's a saving there, too.

Finally, how quickly do people wear through the soles of non-athletic sneakers, anyway? I've got a pair of Pumas that I've been wearing for the past decade. The sole is still in good shape but I'll have to throw them out soon because the inner lining is wearing through. So, in my case, the lifetime of my non-athletic sneakers is not governed by the sole, but by the rest of the construction. If I get a decade out of these sneakers, I think that I'll be happy with the "price per wear".

Finally, given that people pay on SF, SuFu and other clothing fora pay far more than $295 for a pair of fashion sneakers, it's worth asking whether anyone actually resoles their sneakers. Really? Has anyone done that? Do people send their $400 CPs back for resoling when they start to wear? In all seriousness, if you're going to ask that question about these sneakers, you should ask the same question about high-priced CPs, Rick Owens and even more farcically-priced sneaker brands.

TL/DR - Does anyone actually resole their sneakers anyway, whether they are by Common Projects or other brands? If not, why even ask the question?

Last edited:

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm not sure the "whole" point of shell is durability albeit it's one of great characteristic of horse leather.

shell sneakers fills a void that is not offered by calf leather sneakers: rolls and shine.

just see it as a fashion sneaker rather than a bang-for-your-buck footwear

Last edited:

blacktaro

Reaction score
The idea of shell and the price are simply awesome but the fact that only gum-sole is available really turns me down :brick:

Joshua Lee

Reaction score
The idea of a shell sneaker is killer, and most of the colors were awesome choices. I'm slightly concern about the sole wearing because of how I walk normally, but I'll take up a suggestion from other forum members and add an additional layer of rubber to the soles. If someone didn't bring up the idea of adding more rubber to the soles, I would've had to regretfully passed.

What I'd love to buy for next round would be a Plum, or Forest Green shell, or maybe a black pebble grain shell on white rubber! *swoon*

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People resole Rick dunks, Augusta sneakers, etc. Then again, they're like $1000 retail and some models are no longer made.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm surprised (and somewhat amused) that you can re-sole sneakers. But I guess it wouldn't be terribly different from making the sneaker now that I think about it.

Of course, the SF approved answer to this dilemma is to buy backup pairs for when the first ones wear out :happy:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads