Stupid question. Sneaker fit.

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by captainshields, Jun 23, 2016.

1. captainshields

captainshields Senior member

This might be dumb to ask, but how should a sneaker fit?

In the past, I usually get shoes where my toe is pretty much all the way to to the tip of the shoe.

I just bought a pair that were only available in one size. They are slightly bigger than my normal shoes. There is about a thumbs/fingers width between my heel and the back of the shoe if I push my toe all the way to the front. (about .5-.75" to the top when I stick my big toe up in the shoe).

These are narrow shoes and I have wide feet so I think a size down probably would be too small anyway...but is a shoe that's longer like that going to look ridiculous or cause any discomfort?

Thanks!

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You have been wearing your too small shoes. Thee should be about a finger's width between the end of your toe and the end of the shoe, on all shoes excepting cleats or skates, which should fit snugly throughout, or elongated toe shoes, where the additional length may be up to about 1".

Going to move this to menswear advice, where it can help other people with unnecessarily sore feet.

3. captainshields

captainshields Senior member

Thank you!
    What would be too big?

4. flowcharts

flowcharts Senior member

when your foot starts slipping around inside/your shoes start falling off.

5. mrballs

mrballs Well-Known Member

Not sure how thick/big your fingers are, but generally an average index finger should be able to fit in between the sole and the back of the shoe. This holds true for sneakers with laces or some sort of closing/tightening mechanism, which allows room for blood to flow properly to your toes yet holding it snugly together.

For slip-ons where I go sockless, I tend to size down just a little where only my pinkie can fit in, so as to ensure the back doesn't keep sliding down every step.

Too big is when you can feel your sole literally leaving the bottom of the shoe with each step, and the back of the shoe sliding down to the extent it reaches more than halfway down your heel.