• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stuhrling watch

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Every time these discussions re-surface on SF (which is about every 3 months), we get the same crappy arguments.
And the OP always gets the same groupthink advice... allen edmonds, seiko, (insert boring brand that gives SF'ers a boner here), etc.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not a good watch, it is cheap. If you don't care about quality and wants to be spend very little, you should get a Stuhrling. You will get a lot of respect among your friends as long as you select your friends with utmost care.

I would personally prefer a 25 year savings plan towards buying an Audemars Piguet or to go naked.

Imperator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clockwise
It's not a good watch, it is cheap. If you don't care about quality and wants to be spend very little, you should get a Stuhrling. You will get a lot of respect among your friends as long as you select your friends with utmost care.

I would personally prefer a 25 year savings plan towards buying an Audemars Piguet or to go naked.

It's not a great watch, but this is over the top.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hella input i love it!!!

i work in retail wear a suit every day so im not looking for a super expensive watch, trust me i dont got the cash flow, plus im a young guy so i have time to save up and buy a decent watch.

if i can find another designer thats better and for a good value then ill do that otherwise i might ahve to stick it out with these bastards.

again thanks guys!!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
And the OP always gets the same groupthink advice... allen edmonds, seiko, (insert boring brand that gives SF'ers a boner here), etc.

There's a reason these are common denominator answers (or as you call it, groupthink). It's always better to go with something inexpensive but reliable and well-made, than to go for something similarly priced but of poor quality, despite ornate efforts to make it look more expensive. Faux high-end is just that, faux.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clockwise

I can't imagine having too many friends with that attitude. At the end of the day, it's just another material object.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look, these watches are not junk. People take issue with their marketing, and rightly so. These are not the in the price range that they purport to be, and they are not Swiss-designed nor made, as their marketing insuates. Those are both good reasons to be suspicious of the company and its products.

For the $300 - $500 "retail" price range of the watches you link to, there are better choices. These are not Seiko or Citizens (although some Seikos are made in China, too.) But at their selling prices, they are much better than the "designer" brands like Fossil and the clothing makers who put their names on watches that you will see at the mall. If those are your comparison points, then I would not hesitate to recommend Stuhrling.

I have had several people comment positively about my Stuhrling watches and ask what brand they. My reply is always that they are from a company that does Chinese-made knockoffs of Swiss-style watches, and that I paid very little for it. I have never had anyone respond negatively, and in fact most ask where I got them. To me, the allure is that I got a nice, well made watch that someone put some thought into making for a really good price; the value proposition for what you get is cool to me. But I also have no illusions that I'm walking around with an Omega on my wrist. I actually think Stuhrling does themselves a disservice by the way they market - they would be much better off just being honest.

For $100, there is absolutely nothing wrong these. If you like the style and don't care that they are made in China or that someone will recognize or not recognize the brand, then don't be afraid to get one. I'd suggest buying from somewhere like Overstock or Amazon where you can return if you don't like it.

Dunvegan

Reaction score
I have to add my two cents.. as it seems the posters putting this watch down don't own one.
I have 2 that were purchased through ShopNBC auctions for very little.. I needed a watch that looked good (read: Adult) but wouldn't kill me if it got lost or destroyed.
Having said that... I've really run the watches through a bit of hell, and they're still keeping great time, and, apart from one scratch, still look good.
No, they're not in the league of my Tag, but there are some things that I need to be a bit utilitarian with.

My advice is to check out ShopNBC auctions for one..

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own one Stuhrling Original tank watch. It works fine, and I like the skeleton back and the overall look. I realize that it's in no way an investment, and thus I'm perfectly fine with it. Actually, I've gotten compliments about it several times (admittedly, from non-watch connoisseurs).

If you get the watch inexpensively, you like its appearance and your not too hung-up on getting an SF-approved brand name, then get the watch.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a reason these are common denominator answers (or as you call it, groupthink). It's always better to go with something inexpensive but reliable and well-made, than to go for something similarly priced but of poor quality, despite ornate efforts to make it look more expensive. Faux high-end is just that, faux.
Watches are watches. An $50K patek is no more reliable than $20 timex, in fact it's probably less so since a decent quartz movement is more accurate than any automatic movement and will require less maintenance. I like nice watches, I wear an Omega automatic SMP myself, but I'm not under any illusions that it's somehow better than anything else in any objective way. If you really are that concerned about just something that is inexpensive, reliable and well-made, use the clock on your cellphone. If someone buys a sturhling, as long as it gives him a few years of reliable service and doesn't break prematurely, how is that any worse than a seiko that does the same? Someone just pointed out that the faces might crack easily, if that's true, than thats a pretty convincing reason not to buy one. I've never understood this snobbishness that some WIS have about "you have something that looks vaguely high-end, but you didn't pay alot of money, therefore you are some kind of fraud"
confused.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever. Waste of time. Feels like talking to a wall... Enjoy your watch.

linsook

Reaction score
So what is your suggestion of a similarly priced, inexpensive, well made mechanical watch?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by linsook
So what is your suggestion of a similarly priced, inexpensive, well made mechanical watch?

The right answer was in post #2. Seiko 5 is a great choice at the bottom of that range. Seiko Spirit, Hamilton Khaki at the top end of the range. There are many honest mechanincal watches under $300 - there's even a forum "Poor Man Watch Forum" that discusses the more inexpensive segment of the horological offering. Lots to read, to think about and to look at. I like Seiko in that range.

linsook

Reaction score
The right answer was in post #2. Seiko 5 is a great choice at the bottom of that range. Seiko Spirit, Hamilton Khaki at the top end of the range. There are many honest mechanincal watches under $300 - there's even a forum "Poor Man Watch Forum" that discusses the more inexpensive segment of the horological offering. Lots to read, to think about and to look at. I like Seiko in that range.

The OP's watches are 100 dollars.. Anything in that price range?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads