• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stuggling to find a comfortable loafer size, should I just give up on loafers?

HPT704

Reaction score
I've read through a lot of past threads and a lot of people seem to agree that loafer sizing is difficult, but often the advice is contradictory. Most advice seems to recommend going down a size, so i tried an Allen Edmonds 9.5 length Wide width. It felt tight in the width and would flair out on the sides, but was very loose in the heel. So I went down to a 9 length X-Wide width, which felt better in the toes/width, but still very loose in the heel (while at the same time causing chafing on the achilles and malleolus). I tried wearing them with insoles which helps with the looseness in the heels but increases the achilles chafing and flairing on the sides. Not sure if I should make any adjustments for length/width, or just power through the pain?

Attachments

• WithInsole.jpg
    WithInsole.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 352
  • NoInsole.jpg
    NoInsole.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 350

paxonus

Reaction score
What is your Brannock size? I have quite a few pair of AEs, including loafers, and they are all basically true to size. The key for me was getting the correct width.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loafers are generally more loose in the heel than lace shoes, although your pictures do look like those are too wide along the sides. That said, the floppy loose loafer is a hallmark of trad Ivy style that I recall from my youth in New England, although I personally do not approve.

Are you sure you need wide? Just a guess but it could be that a normal width would fit better overall, and any resultant tightness in the toe box would work itself out as the leather softens and breaks in. A lot depends on the socks you wear--thinner is better with loafers in my opinion, or even no socks in summer (in that case I add inserts to keep the shoes dry and clean). The achilles pain is common in new loafers and usually resolves as the leather breaks in. Are you shopping in one of their 78 stores? If so, I would keep trying different sizes...likely you'll find something.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What you're seeing is that sides bowing out. @ntempleman, who works as a bespoke shoemaker, once explained to me why this happens with ready-to-wear loafers, but I don't remember what he said. Perhaps he can chime in.

rjc149

Reaction score
Allen Edmond shoes are all built on different lasts. The "last" is the wooden template, or mold if you will, that the shoe is built around.

So, different Allen Edmond models will be designed to fit different types of feet, depending on the shape, contour, and volume of the last.

The key to getting a good fit with AE is to find their last that best fits your feet. This may mean giving up on a model you like, if the last just doesn't fit well. A 9.5 on one last may not fit well, while it may fit like a glove in another last.

Given that they offer a good variety of loafer models, you should find something in a last that fits you well. It's possible this particular loafer's last isn't for you.

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
loafers are a tricky one to fit right, I’d say you’d need something a fair bit narrower through the sides judging by the photos. That would typically make the front narrower on most rtw shoes though, which might not suit you all that well. Worth a try at least

HPT704

Reaction score
As dieworkwear mentioned, they look wide in the pictures because they are bowing out. The same thing happened when I tried a narrower model.

HPT704

Reaction score
@paxonus I'm not sure what my Brannock size is, AE's website recommends going in store to get sized, so I'm going to try that. So far I've just been ordering online.

HPT704

Reaction score
@rjc149 Thank you, this was very helpful. I have been only trying this particular model, so I think I will try going in store for a proper fitting.

Edit: forgot to mention that this model is the Cavanaugh, which is the 114 Last according to this guide ("the last is fuller across the ball of the foot ")

Last edited:

Casaubon

Reaction score
The issue has been explained here in detail, and it apparently has to do with the shape of the feet:
I have the same problem so I was also looking for an explanation at one point. Perhaps there is a solution to this, I am far from an authority on the issue, but personally I have almost given up on loafers. Not that much of a problem since I am more of a boot guy myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads