• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stuff Styleforvm overrates

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
manton, he isn't a bad guy and he seems to be knowledgeable. But his tendency to be pretentious and offensive is of poor taste.

+ 1

Addidtion to the list: G&G, Vass, tie dimples.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
Whatever Appreciation/damage.

Good Appreciation can never be overrated!

rimshot.gif

Modernist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
One more from me.... nail pattern in shoe heels. Looks great till you land on your ass.

+1

I remember back when I got my first pair of shoes with leather soles (a pair of black chelseas - what else?) and how slippery the heels felt, especially the nailheads. I put toppies on every shoe since then.

"Burn the witch! Burn the witch!"

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Dare I add: Manton's opinion. I mean, Manton is great and he is very knowledgeable, but his opinion is just that - one man's opinion. Sometimes I feel like people hold their breath waiting for the final verdict... Manton's view....
Sometimes one man's opinion is worth more than another's. This is one of those times. At least outside of CE.
devil.gif
Although, even there, I probably agree w/ him, as much if not more than I disagree w/ him.
Originally Posted by Dewey
For the record, this was a joke. A satire if you well. I thought it was plenty obvious
confused.gif

You're too good.
Originally Posted by AlanC
Self-examination
Never. Well, rarely or in some way, perhaps. There may be too much shallow self-examination here. But typically, I think it's sorely underrated here and elsewhere. I tend to like the things valued here: slimmer cuts, bespoke, shell cordovan, knit ties, distaste for logos, etc. But I really dislike the double-monks that are often fawned over.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
What on God's green little acre?! Did I fall asleep and wake up on the FNB forum? What's with all the Manton bashing?

I guess I'm guitly of starting this, albeit unintentionally
frown.gif
My point was that Manton's opinion can be a bit overrated - which in my mind was a statement about the issues associated with following one man's word as a cult much more than a statement about Manton himself (or actually his opinion). It has degenerated a little bit into an outlet for some to vent their issues with Manton - which is completely off topic. I'm sorry if I was instrumental in this.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started a post last night where I wrote out all of the things SF generally supports and then negated the things mentioned in this post. Within minutes I had crossed out everything I had originally typed was left with a growing list of negatives without a positive to cross off.....these comments began swirling around my screen faster and faster, turning darker and darker in the process. Within minutes it had formed a black hole that swallowed my PC and half of my desk before it decayed and disappeared, taking my half-written post with it.

I'm at my work computer now posting this story in that post's stead.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
As opposed to the MC equivalent "that's a nifty TV fold you got right there, good sir"?

YOU GTFO.

lol, there's a lot of circle jerking on both WAYWT forums. I think it's gotta be mostly newbies who're seduced by things otherwise taken as norm, but it's new and fresh and awesome to them

I think buying everything on sale is overrated, you end up letting sale items determine how you look rather than seeking out the piece you want, sometimes on sale but oftentimes needs to be bought at retail

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I guess I'm guitly of starting this, albeit unintentionally
frown.gif
My point was that Manton's opinion can be a bit overrated - which in my mind was a statement about the issues associated with following one man's word as a cult much more than a statement about Manton himself (or actually his opinion). It has degenerated a little bit into an outlet for some to vent their issues with Manton - which is completely off topic. I'm sorry if I was instrumental in this.

+1 on everything gdl posts above. Manton is supremely knowledgeable about the rules, but sometimes his opinion is mistaken for gospel, despite his best efforts to label it as opinion.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads