• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Studying abroad in Scotland, please help on wardrobe selections

fnspr3

Reaction score
Hey guys obviously I'm a newbie but learning a lot on these forums already. I normally live in Dallas, TX but I will be studying abroad in St. Andrews, Scotland this spring semester. I will be leaving in about 2 weeks and staying for about 4 months. So, I have two issues, first I am just beginning to build a real wardrobe. At 21 years old I have been collecting clothes for years, but I feel like I've finally stopped growing and want to build a good, somewhat minimalist, quality, wardrobe. I feel like my trip is just making this desire more urgent. I have basically two more weeks completely free to shop, order, and buy whatever. I have been scouring the sale racks the last few days.

I have bought a few things that I like but I am a little concerned about after reading some of the stuff on this site:
-Hugo Boss James/Sharp2 Columbo Black suit sz 36($330)
-Hugo Boss white dress shirt ($95) sz 15/34
-3 buffalo david bitton button casual button downs sz M (blue, white, grey/white stripe) $35 each
-r'ocean sp? dark dark denim jeans sz 29 ($70)
-Johnston and Murphy tan desert chukkas ($135) seem really really comfortable, and well made. Had bad experience with clarks quality/comfort in past. Love the way these feel just worried they might be a little long.

I generally like all of the above, and I would say the suit fits well on my somewhat athletic build.

So:
First and most importantly, what would you guys take on a study abroad trip to the UK? Also, there will be a few formal "black tie" ball type occasions which is what I was hoping the HB suit would work for.
Secondly, what do you think of my current selections everything is returnable of course.
Lastly, what would you guys recommend in 2011 for someone like me especially in terms of jeans/denim?

Please bear in mind that I am a student, so while I definitely appreciate great brands i.e. jil sander, hickey, ae, ect. I may not be able to afford it unless it is available at a considerable discount. I don't mind spending money on quality items if you all think it is definitely worth the extra money given my circumstances. I want great jeans, so I could fork over a little more there. I consider my style to be fairly conservative not necessarily bleeding edge.

If you guys made it through this obnoxiously long thread I would appreciate appreciate any help you could offer!

fnspr3

Reaction score
Also, what would you guys recommend buying here (Dallas Northpark or Galleria) vs in the UK/Europe??

fnspr3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maccimus
What about some Scottish Kilts?

I figured that was a given, also need to get some facepaint to pull of the Mel Gibson look, hoping it will have the same effect on french women...

AE7

Reaction score
In St.Andrews most of the students who have means wear AF and Jack Wills. Dont be too concerned with your wardrobe other there. Just get a decent SC, offwhite pants and Barbour.

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
If it's "black tie" you'll be wanting a tux. You might get away with just a black suit at other universities, but St Andrews is pretty traditional.

For general day to day wear, unless there's some sort of specific requirement for your course, just go with whatever you feel comfortable in. I went to Durham, and the students there are vaguely similar to those St Andrews, and for classes everyone just wears whatever they feel like. Some people wore suits to lectures but we all thought they were a little odd.

Also, I've never been to Dallas, but I'm guessing it's a little bit hotter there than St Andrews, so I'd invest in a decent coat and lots of layering.

I'd say you're better off buying most of your wardrobe in Dallas. You'll not be far away from Edinburgh and there's decent shops there, but your money will probably go further in the US, and if you're bargain shopping you're more likely to know the best places to look.

[Edit]
If you really want to fit in while you're there you must buy everything, and I do mean everything from Jack Wills. Except maybe a Barbour jacket.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll be in the place making the greatest tweeds in the world. Go shop there.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Not too many tweeds for sale in Scotland, really. Just the typical horrible Haggas jackets for the most part.

howbah

Reaction score
For black tie occasions, rent. That's what everybody else your age will be doing.

For all other occasions, dress as you would in the US.

Understand that St Andrews in spring is cold, windy, and rainy.

Play the Old Course as often as you can.

BlackShoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Not Ed Harris
I went to Durham, and the students there are vaguely similar to those St Andrews

You mean they didn't get into Oxford/Cambridge either?

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you in "Dallas"? You mentioned northpark/Galleria, so I'm going to operate off of there.

Given that you've mentioned being a student, good places to look for quality (though you'll have to sift through a whole lot of chaffe) are the nordstrom rack in plano, Nieman Marcus last call at Grapevine mills as well as (from what I hear) up at the allen outlets. There's also a Saks off Fifth somewhere around (I think at Grapevine mills as well). If you're willing to go that far, the rack at the Parks in Arlington is brand new and has a better selection of quality for cheap than what I've seen at the Plano rack. For full price, department store options Galleria and Northpark pretty much have it covered, though there's also a Barney's some where up on Dallas North Tollway from what I understand.

For boutiques which are probably less SF approved there's Gariani's, Mallasadi's, and Lombardo's up on the Dallas North Tollway. Lombardo has a sale section with decent prices, but I've never bought anything. Gariani's has prices which are probably within your range, though some of it may be out. I've done a good bit of business with them and I like their stuff, but they're probably a bit colorful for SF. Construction/quality is good though. Never been into Lombardo's. There's also Stanley Korshak near the heart of Dallas which sells high end stuff. If you need alterations done, I've gone back through and looked at the recommendations around here, which are for Cantu Tailors. They get very good reviews here and elsewhere. For custom/bespoke there's Despos, Q custom clothier, Pockets, and some others around, but I'm just jumping into that whole thing so I can't tell you anything yet.

As far as what you've got though, hell if I can tell you. I'm working on that whole learning and building thing myself. But that's the intel on what's available around. PM me if you can't find anything, but all of that should be Google searchable.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the black tie balls, just rent form the shop on South St, like a lot of students do. There are very many American students in St Andrews, so you see lots of typical US campus gear in town. Most of the really posh students (usually referred to as yahs) tend to stick together, and to stand out somewhat. There is also a fringe of left-wing students and a mass of nondescript ones. Just see where you fit in when you get there, and remember that that town is a huge gossip mill where you're always being watched.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just be your self; if you're preppy then you'll be Raah, Yah or some other phonetic equivelent to rich.

If you're A&F/Holister then you'll be middle class

If you're wearing army surplus and drinking engine oil then you'll be the Rebelious Rich.

Poor people aren't allowed into St Andrews.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeans, tees, hoodies and trainers: Students in the UK are no different to those anywhere so just fit in.

Evening dress maybe but I would be very surprised if ypu could find as many as "a few formal black tie events". One may be two but a few seems way OTT in most Universities. My own, Durham was no more than that each term.

The perhaps a suit, couple of pairs of decent trousers, 3 shirts and maybe a couple of ties. You can buy the odd extra thing if you see something you like but it really is no great formal sartorial experience that you are about to enjoy.

In any event do you not have a luggage allowance assoociated with your air ticket - no need to exceed it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads