• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strength Without Bulk

delirium

Reaction score
uh gymnasts have big upper bodies and small lower bodies...

a more muscular person is usually the stronger person.
you can build "strength" in a certain lift without building muscle, but strength derived from muscle gives more cross over strength to other movements.

Mauby

Reaction score
Honestly, if you're not getting stronger from rock climbing, you're not doing it right.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
checked it out and it pretty much sucks.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by infinittiii
look at gymnastic people for example, not alot of them are very big but they strong as ****

152-johnson%20victory.jpg

mgoose

Reaction score
I'll give you what I follow as far as volumes go for strength v hypertrophy (btw volume is the total amount of reps I'll do over a given number of sets, usually 4 for me)

Hypertrophy ranges from 32 to 40 total reps, so 4x8-10

Strength ranges from 11 to 24 total reps, with 4x6 to pyramid schemes ie 5,3,2,1

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by infinittiii
look at gymnastic people for example, not alot of them are very big but they strong as ****

Yep. Usually small frames but their forearms are bigger than their calves.

camhard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauby
Honestly, if you're not getting stronger from rock climbing, you're not doing it right.

Oh, I have no problem getting stronger, I just want to do it with as little additional weight/awkward bulk as possible. I am also mostly concerned about getting an enormous lower body from cycling. I could stand to gain a little size in my upper body, though I still don't want to get huge.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks these kind of arbitrary generalizations are truly helpful.
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by mgoose
I'll give you what I follow as far as volumes go for strength v hypertrophy (btw volume is the total amount of reps I'll do over a given number of sets, usually 4 for me)

Hypertrophy ranges from 32 to 40 total reps, so 4x8-10

Strength ranges from 11 to 24 total reps, with 4x6 to pyramid schemes ie 5,3,2,1

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i just didn't find the info very useful or relevant.

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by camhard
Oh, I have no problem getting stronger, I just want to do it with as little additional weight/awkward bulk as possible. I am also mostly concerned about getting an enormous lower body from cycling. I could stand to gain a little size in my upper body, though I still don't want to get huge.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I don't think cycling will give you an enormous lower body. You'll gain a little muscle in your legs of course, but we're not talking weightlifter's legs. Also, rock climbing won't give you an enormous upper body. You'll definitely gain some muscle in your upper back though. If you're really THAT concerned about adding a little muscle with strength gains, my advice would be to ditch cycling & rock climbing and start focusing on something like yoga or pilates. In theory, those are supposed to keep you lean & toned.

turbozed

Reaction score
I see a lot of people here just referring to just hypertrophy as if it were just one concept.

You can indeed increase strength without as much 'bulk.' Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy increases the amount of fluid in the muscle cells but does not increase muscle strength per se. Myofribilar hypertrophy increases muscle fibers (actually myofibrils) and strength. There's a small amount of muscle size growth, but not as significant as sarcoplasmic.

This is partly the reason why there are olympic weightlifters that are 3x stronger than bodybuilders twice their size. If you're interested in avoiding sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, do less reps. Under 5 reps per set. Do heavy doubles and singles.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^dunno that there's a perfect formula. what about cummulative reps? how different are 5 x 5 and 3 x 8? not very

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
^dunno that there's a perfect formula. what about cummulative reps? how different are 5 x 5 and 3 x 8? not very

It's more about % of 1RM. I just assumed people would be doing higher % with the low reps. I guess they could be doing low reps of submaximal loads. Bad assumption on my part.

Lower reps higher weight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads