1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Street Style(?) at SXSW

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by justlurkingthanks, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Spats

Spats Senior member

What the fuck has happened to Austin since I left?
    Well, it's got a Ferrari dealership, now. [​IMG]

2. 1969

1969 Senior member

Those photo's pretty much sum it up. I've been here for 19 years and while I have enjoyed both SXSW and Austin plenty, I now feel like the old guy who's just yells 'get off my yard'.

3. King Leer

King Leer Senior member

Hipsters are usually the ones who support these so-called "singers" who sound as if they're using the microphone to brush their teeth.

4. robbie

robbie Senior member

It's funny the NYT decided to pay someone for this filler.

I could have taken these same pictures at a Wal-Mart near any college anywhere.

5. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

lol. Two of the people in the spread are friends from Baltimore. Actually just got off a bus with the guy in the middle of the last picture.

6. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

For real.

This is a weird generalization to make. Do you go to many modern art exhibitions at all? Not even going to comment on the next clause, or speculate on the role the word "postmodern" plays in that sentence.

But whatever though.

dude, plz stop using big words. you're just confusing his point

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

good point, I hate this hipster anti-fashion bullshit. This is regressive indeed, thank you for articulating this better as I didn't have enough knowledge to give specific details about music movements influences.

This kind of shit also plagues art now...Art is a bit embarassing now, and I blame it on how apathetic and nihilistic postmodern society has become.

lol. my opinion of you just dropped considerably. you sound like you have no idea what you're talking about and just want to sound insightful

8. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Lol, who had a high opinion of Lane to start with?

9. Desi

Desi Senior member

lol. Two of the people in the spread are friends from Baltimore. Actually just got off a bus with the guy in the middle of the last picture.

lol that dude used to work with me.

10. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

[​IMG] "let's smoke out and ride our fixies to get coffee and breakfast tacos"

I dunno. that sounds like fun

11. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Never understood the fixie hate. Every single multi-gear bike I have owned has sucked terribly and been a nuisance, my next bike for sure will be fixed gear.

And what's wrong with breakfast tacos and coffee?

12. juliank

juliank Senior member

breakfast tacos are amazoid [​IMG]

13. G0079

G0079 Senior member

Never understood the fixie hate. Every single multi-gear bike I have owned has sucked terribly and been a nuisance, my next bike for sure will be fixed gear. And what's wrong with breakfast tacos and coffee?
    it blew my mind when I saw a guy taking a hill in san francisco on a fixed gear. I can see the appeal in a flat-ass city like NYC, but even Vancouver has too many hills. I like my gears. Anyways, if you want reliability, why not just get a single speed with a freewheel. The brakeless bullshit gets me, too. First time I had a fixie rider skid sideways in front of my car I just about pulled onto the sidewalk.

14. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Well, it's got a Ferrari dealership, now. [​IMG]

I saw that when I was there in October. That's when I knew it was not the town I grew up in full of college professors, hippies, and govt workers.

15. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

LOL yeah, I don't have mountains to get up here haha.

TBH I never even thought of that, that's actually perfect for me, thanks!

16. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

buy a flip-flop hub if you're a flip-flopper. fixies are great.

17. Ritchee

Ritchee Senior member

the dudes in photo 5 and 9 have an aesthetic I find appealing.

18. Racove

Racove Senior member

Best line yet.

I was at SXSW. I saw some rare SF types in the mix. APC NS, Aldens, etc. Panerai, IWC, Omega too. Get a big enough crowd and you are bound to. I wonder if any were locals.

19. pfurey

pfurey Senior member

I disagree. The execution and composition of the images is pretty well done.

20. Lane

Lane Senior member

For real. This is a weird generalization to make. Do you go to many modern art exhibitions at all? Not even going to comment on the next clause, or speculate on the role the word "postmodern" plays in that sentence. But whatever though.
    "modern" art spans a whole lot of art. To be more specific I meant American art from 70s-now. I guess contemporary would be the right word. Maybe I'm using the wrong words, but I meant to say that nihilisms influence on art has moved it in a direction that has make it seem emptier to me at conveying much. It isn't as special to me as older art, maybe cuz I live in these times. I've actually taken more an interest in photography than anything else. Also, I didn't even know you existed big pun so I guess you're pretty insignificant so meh.