Street Style(?) at SXSW

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by justlurkingthanks, Mar 26, 2011.

1. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

Gauze shirt is cool.

Aziz Ansari looks the same as he always does.

2. pfurey

pfurey Senior member

[​IMG] that girl had it right. I swear to god my biggest pet peeve is kids in obnoxiously tight black jeans with carabeeners everywhere holding everything their pockets can't.

3. Saul Silver

Saul Silver Senior member

If our generation fashion wise can only offer ear gauzes and body tattoos paired with thrift store shit...than that's a sad state of affairs. As Juliank said, Music tended to originally be a tremendous influence for style, and now it seems to be regressive.

Yeah, because Woodstock had such amazing fashunz. And the 80's had such amazing fashion with eyeliner, mascara and hairspray. And Kirt Cobain was such an amazing fashionista. Uh-huh.

Plus, you need to differentiate between music fans and musicians themselves. Yes, these fans tend to do the typical hipster thrift store skinny jeans look, but the actual acts themselves as SXSW usually tend to bring something to the table style-wise.

4. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

5. Lane

Lane Senior member

yup, I meant musicians moreso, but I didn't see anything special. Maybe you are right, and trying to see anything more than what these people are is pointless. james blake was aight though

6. Saul Silver

Saul Silver Senior member

7. pfurey

pfurey Senior member

actual acts themselves as SXSW usually tend to bring something to the table style-wise.

yeah, friends band played sxsw this year and here's an image I took of them a year or so ago. interesting people.

[​IMG]

8. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

Paisley tie is surprisingly good. Lane is unsurprisingly inscrutable in his beliefs and motives.

People in the photos generally look like regular people, but ffs it's an online photo-list-article that only exists to add another blob of content to the site, don't know what you were expecting. I try not to bring any of my nice stuff to music festivals because I know my clothes are going to end up smelling like weed and clove cigarettes.

Full disclosure is that I haven't been to SXSW yet.

9. pfurey

pfurey Senior member

I'll be at sxsw next year for some work related things, I've heard it's pretty good. We'll see.

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

SXSW seems to represent anti-fashion.

11. DLester

DLester Senior member

That is just a bunch of white people looking their worst.

lol NYT quote: "The rest of the year, fashion in Austin can be post-collegiate casual, but during SXSW, people turn it out." Not seeing it. Most of those people were probably like "this smells sort of clean so I will wear it."

12. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Just looked at the associated slide show, which was an incremental improvement.

They usually throw the best parties, and I enjoy sleeping in their apartments.

Agreed re: parties. I'm going to a South Philly hipster party tonight, and I'm very much looking forward to it. They also tend to be pretty mellow concert-goers (not pushy or aggro or anything), which I appreciate, and they've evolved past the point of never dancing to anything (outside of DC, at least, where I'm pretty sure they've outlawed dancing, Footloose-style).

Take away the PBR and pretension, and I have no complaints. Except for the trust-funders. They need to stop getting tattoos and designing t-shirts and just buy some Vineyard Vines or something.

13. Curious_George

Curious_George Senior member

[​IMG] It's almost like stages from a hipster evolution (devolution?). "From trainers they soon evolved into the boat shoes stage and their jeans then changed from blue to black..." Also, giant ear gauges are revolting. I'll never understand why people do that (see photo 18).

14. pistolero

pistolero Senior member

That is just a bunch of white people looking their worst.

lol NYT quote: "The rest of the year, fashion in Austin can be post-collegiate casual, but during SXSW, people turn it out." Not seeing it. Most of those people were probably like "this smells sort of clean so I will wear it."

[​IMG] "let's smoke out and ride our fixies to get coffee and breakfast tacos"

15. Not Carl

Not Carl Senior member

Get that NYT money Ben, holler!