• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steven Alan

Bastion of

Reaction score
I purchased two Steven Alan short sleeve shirts at a sample sale yesterday. One was the single needle and the other was the reverse seam. They were $40 apiece, 70% off their normal retail price. I'm usually an "M" shirt size but these ones fit really big so I sized down to "S". I was quite surprised because I'm an "M" 99% of the time (6'1, 170 lbs, 15.5" neck, 40 suit size).

The "S" fit me very nicely however. The reverse seam is slimmer and nicely tailored, while the single needle had a softer fabric. Both had really nice patterns and were made in the USA. The tag claims that they are pre-washed, so I hope there isn't too much shrinkage.

For $40, I'm quite happy with the price-quality ratio and they will get a lot of service from me as casual shirts.

Given the comments from others about sizing, I'd be careful ordering something online unless you've tried a similar model on or find a site with a generous return policy.

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are the Fenton suits?

In another thread, I saw that a user stated that the suit pants were "amazing" while the suit jacket wasn't that great. I just nabbed a suit jacket and pants from them during the sample sale plus with the 15% off code (total $168). I need a suit and figured this was would be better than waiting for Uniqlo to release the tasmanian wool separates next season. Anyways, got regular size (38S) on jacket and sized down (29) on pants.

No returns for sample sale so it may end up on B&S if it doesn't work out.

Last edited:

brianoh

Reaction score

In another thread, I saw that a user stated that the suit pants were "amazing" while the suit jacket wasn't that great. I just nabbed a suit jacket and pants from them during the sample sale plus with the 15% off code (total $168). I need a suit and figured this was would be better than waiting for Uniqlo to release the tasmanian wool separates next season. Anyways, got regular size (38S) on jacket and sized down (29) on pants.

What's the 15% off code?

choweee

Reaction score
Yeah, great deal on the suits. I bought two Fenton suit jackets (38 and 40) and will sell the one that doesn't fit.

mistewacko

Reaction score

Where was the option for a 38S (Short)? Or did you mean 38R (Regular)?

DC Office Hack

Reaction score
There's a nice sale going on right now.

Anyone have any experience with Steve Alan dress pants?

cheezewiz

Reaction score
I've got two fenton suits that the jacket sleeves are too long (functional cuffs, don't really want to get them tailored)

Jackets size 36 and 38
Pants size 29 and 30

Pants are very nice I kind of want to keep the 30 if someone wants only a jacket.

Will put up a b&s listing in a bit but if anyone is interested PM me.

DC Office Hack

Reaction score
How would you describe the pant fit?

I'm very reluctant to pull the trigger when there's no return possibility.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with the cashmere beanies/watch caps from this season?
I like the look of a lot of the Steven Alan product, but I've only ever bought one thing and I was really disappointed (Esteban Henley if anybody cares). I want a cashmere beanie for the winter and it doesn't look like J Crew is bringing theirs back.
Any help on quality would be really appreciated.

brianoh

Reaction score

i know it says final sale, but I've brought in "final sale" items to return in-store for the last 2 years. Was always able to get store credit.

I'm going to try that. Their sizing is all over the place. Which store in particular did you return to, and did you show them your online receipt?

mcdecker1

Reaction score

I'm going to try that. Their sizing is all over the place. Which store in particular did you return to, and did you show them your online receipt?

Returned to the Steven Alan on Fillmore in San Francisco, first time I showed online receipt, second time I just had them pull it up on my credit card history

Reaction score
I picked up a few Steven Alan shirts on deep discount at East Dane.

Here are my thoughts (YMMV):

Single Needle Shirt:

The size small fits about true to size, market-wise, with a chest circumference of 40 inches. The fabric and construction are excellent. The shirt has a few of the nice touches you don't see in much OTR shirting: fold-over hemming to name one. The only issue I had is with the buttons, which are of the dime-thin plastic variety. If I were a more of a fussbudget, I would likely replace the buttons. Alas, I am not and they will remain. Still: if I were to buy another Steven Alan shirt, I believe it would be in the Single Needle style.

Classic Collegiate Shirt:

This style of shirt has a slimmer fit, with a chest circumference of 38 inches (size small). The neck is comically undersized, and there is no button above the cuffs at the sleeve vent. The fabric and construction I praised in the Single Needle shirt aren't to be found here (granted, this is comparing one single apple to one single orange), but the prints seem to be, by and large, far livelier in this collection than that of the Single Needle variety. Nevertheless, I just don't understand how there can be such a disparity in fits between one collection and another. If you are on the cusp between small and medium (think: a 37-inch chest) you may want to opt for a medium, as this doesn't give you much wiggle room in the chest.

Like I mentioned, YMMV, but I think Steven Alan shirts are worth the (highly reduced) price I paid for them.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^i still have some SA shirts from the early 2000. The buttons are really substantial and the fabrics held up really well. They were 170 or so then so not cheap. In ht e past few years I've hit up the sample sales and noticed a slight drop in quality, esp. The buttons.

Regarding the twisted placket: you know you can untwist them with an iron?

Sizing is Tts, with the twisted seam being slimmer than the oxfords. A SA medium is the same as a Gitman vintage m, believe it or not.

The suiting pants are a nice pickup on sale, too.

I've also bought my wife a bunch of women's clothes from SA and she loves them..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads