• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steed semi-bespoke

Hotchpotch

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Steed's MTM program?

In particular I'm interested in how the fit turned out. With there only being an initial measurement session before the items are made it leaves me a little concerned.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once considered this option with him...but his bespoke suits are just works of art and I would prefer to invest the money in bespoke given the greater number of fittings and attention to making a silhouette and fit work right for me

I'm sure there are others on teh foraz who have used this option and will privately comment on their experiences. Some perhaps didn't try it again...others were further lured to upgrade to his bespoke service instead

I'm hoping he'll stick it to those wierdos in San Francisco and opt to add Los Angeles to his itinerary come 2010...so I can try bespoke...not MTM

Mr.P

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hotchpotch
Does anyone have any experience with Steed's MTM program? In particular I'm interested in how the fit turned out. With there only being an initial measurement session before the items are made it leaves me a little concerned.
I'm actually curious about this, too. The suits on the website seem decent in terms of fit, although the pattern matching (or, rather, the absence thereof) on the pinstripe suits is not entirely promising.

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by evil_bond
what are the starting prices for steed bespoke and semi-bespoke?

~GBP1900 for bespoke suit (plus a little extra (~GBP75) for shipping), covers most fabrics from lots of reputable British mills

No idea abt semi, but IIRC something like GBP800 for a suit, I suppose plus shipping

The bespoke quality is excellent as many here can attest.

Mr.P

Reaction score
Originally Posted by evil_bond
what are the starting prices for steed bespoke and semi-bespoke?

There's a detailed price list on the Steed website.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump on this, I'm wondering the same since Edwin is coming into town in a couple of weeks.

What I seem to gather at this point is that it's not fully canvassed and is sent out for production but Steed has considerable input on measurements and details, seemingly more than many in-store MTM options.

GucciKid

Reaction score
So there is no actual fitting for this, you're measured by them and then your suit gets shipped to you?

If that's the case I think you could probably find a bespoke tailor near you for a little more than what they are charging for semi-bespoke.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there an individual pattern cut?
In most MTM, one picks a model and changes may be made in details, eg.
buttons, vents, etc., but the "architecture" is unchanged. I did this with Chipp I
years ago.
For Steed, I would want to choose the "architecture" unless they have a standard
which I like . For example, I like a very natural shoulder

S. Able

Reaction score
As far as I know, these are half-canvased suits produced at a factory in the Czech Republic.
I can't say enough good things about Edwin's bespoke product and service. At 1900 pounds, I think it is one of the better values out there if you are looking for a jacket or suit with a softer shoulder.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by S. Able
As far as I know, these are half-canvased suits produced at a factory in the Czech Republic.
I can't say enough good things about Edwin's bespoke product and service. At 1900 pounds, I think it is one of the better values out there if you are looking for a jacket or suit with a softer shoulder.

Anyone here since tried Steed MTM? I'm just curious.

JimmyMac

Reaction score
I am very pleased with the product. I can't pull myself to spend $4-$5k on a suit (I collect watches instead). At about $1,250, I think this this an excellent alternative besides being a half-canvassed suit.

Edwin cuts the patterns himself and is involved with the production (about 2 months turn around). The cut and fit are the best that I have ever experienced. I've used department store MTM programs and Mr. Ned and neither can compare to the fit of Steed's Semi-Bespoke service.

I would suggest that you send him an email or call to ask about how the suit is produced. He's very straightforward.

Regards,

JimmyMac

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads