• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I pat dry and then rub in just a tad of my personal dry rub. Mainly S&P, smoked paprika, and brown sugar. For quality steaks just the lightest hint of it but it grabs any residual moisture and helps start the crust/Maillard reaction. As I've shared that thing gets to welding temps and I have both sides and all for edges crusted in about three minutes.

They were NY Strips.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had some steaks that were not totally thawed yet. Set the oven to 300, preheated till it hit 250, turned it off and put the steaks in. I put the thermometer in for science. Turns out it's actually not a bad "safe" reverse sear technique. They got up to about 105 before stalling, and I can just turn the oven on to finish them when my sides are ready to go. My biggest complaint about reverse sear is that there's no room for error; if you leave the steaks in too long they overcook. Sous vide is a lot safer.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would argue that at a temp of 200-225, while they can overcook, it would take a long time for it to happen.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I made lamb spiedies with homemade Italian rolls tonight. The meat was ?. The rolls came out all misshapen since it's my first time making rolls. Pics next time.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone order their steaks online? I am looking for recommendations on any online butches/ranches that might be worth ordering from. I assume they are mostly useful for ordering occasional high-end cuts like wagyu, etc, that might be challenging to find locally.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone order their steaks online? I am looking for recommendations on any online butches/ranches that might be worth ordering from. I assume they are mostly useful for ordering occasional high-end cuts like wagyu, etc, that might be challenging to find locally.

Snake River Farms and Crowd Chow seem to have good meat that are at or slightly above what you can find locally (if you have access to a good local butcher). They have prime, choice and wagyu, so they span the spectrum. I haven't ordered from any others.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just put an order in for Snake River, should be getting it any day. I have been exclusively Crowd Cow until this order. The meat comes flash frozen, which I liked better than getting it locally and freezing with moisture.

ocooney

Reaction score

I order from Flannery Beef

Mostly because I don't have a good local source for dry aged beef.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My go to is Jimmy P's in Naples https://www.jimmypsbutchershop.com/ when I'm trying to find rare cuts but SNF and CC are both good too.

ocooney

Reaction score
Flannery is terrific stuff, if pricey. I’m a Creekstone man (no waygu), when they have sales you can get some great deals. I order pork stuffs and some beef products from D’Arteganan.
The Flannery Helluva Deal dry aged rib eyes are cheaper than the non aged Creekstone. I always have 4-6 in the freezer

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads