• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

STEAKS!!!!!!!

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got it. I'll simply leave it in the fridge and wait. ;) Thank you for the help.
You don't always need the best cuts or grades, just look for fat and color as others have mentioned already. I really like some of the bistro/salad cuts that are "new" which basically means made up. Denver, Ranch, Flat Iron, Back Iron (basically sirloins) and Flanks, Skirts, Hanger, Entrana, Oyster. All can be really good, and most of the time a lot cheaper than a Ribeye or NY Strip.

I would also add that I miss your days at Vass when emails were answered quickly, and I look forward to your new venture.

-DL

rezso.kuti

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You don't always need the best cuts or grades, just look for fat and color as others have mentioned already. I really like some of the bistro/salad cuts that are "new" which basically means made up. Denver, Ranch, Flat Iron, Back Iron (basically sirloins) and Flanks, Skirts, Hanger, Entrana, Oyster. All can be really good, and most of the time a lot cheaper than a Ribeye or NY Strip.

I would also add that I miss your days at Vass when emails were answered quickly, and I look forward to your new venture.

-DL
Thank you! I need to sit down with the butcher and talk about this, step by step need to try all! Also, the pictures are really helpful in this thread :D
I guess the key is to find a good butcher where you can source quality meat.
Here in our town, it is not so easy. You can find local Angus, some other beef from Poland and you can buy Argentine beef as well. Which looks delicious by the way.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you! I need to sit down with the butcher and talk about this, step by step need to try all! Also, the pictures are really helpful in this thread :D
I guess the key is to find a good butcher where you can source quality meat.
Here in our town, it is not so easy. You can find local Angus, some other beef from Poland and you can buy Argentine beef as well. Which looks delicious by the way.
argentine beef was once world class but unfortunately they’ve taken the higher yield/lower prices route and the meat has suffered but you can still find some good stuff. I would start there unless it’s price prohibitive. Look for “Entrana” (skirt steak), “Vacio” (flank) or “bife de chorizo” (strip).

rezso.kuti

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
argentine beef was once world class but unfortunately they’ve taken the higher yield/lower prices route and the meat has suffered but you can still find some good stuff. I would start there unless it’s price prohibitive. Look for “Entrana” (skirt steak), “Vacio” (flank) or “bife de chorizo” (strip).
Cool. Thank you! It helps a lot!
I guess my butcher will hate me for so many questions!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
When did you get a sous vide?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Don't think I remember you using one before.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
That was you? I'm embarrassed for you.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The Snake River wagyu was pretty damn good. Sous vide at 129, finished on that insane IR burner the Lynx has. Bed of mushroom duxelles, veggies and corn done on the Traeger. Oh, I just grabbed a random bottle of wine and it was okay.

AF082BE9-D596-4722-A20A-C7A564FA95BF.jpeg

Lizard23

Reaction score
Well done. What do you have there? About a millimeter of gradient? Tops?

You know i prefer reverse sear to sous vide... but is if possible the IR gets so hot that it negates the benefit of a dried out surface? Perhaps we can prove kenji wrong?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.