• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stayed at the Waldorf?

syracuse1976

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

My fiancee and I will be in New York in a few weeks and are considering staying at the Waldorf on a weeknight. We have been fortunate to have stayed at some very nice, although not world-class, hotels.

My opinion is that it might be worth it for the experience, although I realize it's not considered the "best" in NYC any longer.

We are attending an event in Manhattan, so if not the Waldorf, what?

Thanks.

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by syracuse1976
Good afternoon,

My fiancee and I will be in New York in a few weeks and are considering staying at the Waldorf on a weeknight. We have been fortunate to have stayed at some very nice, although not world-class, hotels.

My opinion is that it might be worth it for the experience, although I realize it's not considered the "best" in NYC any longer.

We are attending an event in Manhattan, so if not the Waldorf, what?

Thanks.

Try the W. I was there for a sales meeting and liked the modern decor. A companion told me that her firm frequently recommended this hotel to their clients.

The Waldorf is OK. I stayed there one night. It's an older building and has its charms. But besides the embossed pen I swiped and the bragging rights, there was really nothing particularly special about my stay. Great location, though.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can afford the Waldorf Towers, it might be worthwhile, but I have actually found the rooms in the Hilton Times Square bigger and just as nicely appointed as the Waldorf for less money. Actually, last time I stayed there I got upgraded to a giant suite. It doesn't have the same cachet, but.... If you are not beholden to Hilton properties, the W, the Renaissance, the Riga Royal (actually the nicest hotel I've stayed in on Manhattan back when it was a JW) are all good and in the same area. I do, however, highly recommend the bull & bear in the lobby of the Waldorf for happy hour cocktails! There's also the Ritz, the St. Regis and a Peninsula. If you want really want to splurge just for an experience, stay at the Soho Grand, Le Meridien, or the Mandarin Oriental which are more of a modern luxury kind of style.

syracuse1976

Reaction score
Thanks, ChicagoRon. I'm going to make a decision and book today.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No problem....let me know what you decide. ALSO......you might want to check out flyertalk.com which is a great travel forum. You will find reviews for all these hotels.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people say Waldorf is past it's prime, but that's usually because they live in the cheap rooms. I can tell you that the nicer suites are competitive with most hotels, and the service is quite exceptional. The ritz on the park is wonderful of course.

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
If you can afford the Waldorf Towers, it might be worthwhile, but I have actually found the rooms in the Hilton Times Square bigger and just as nicely appointed as the Waldorf for less money. Actually, last time I stayed there I got upgraded to a giant suite. It doesn't have the same cachet, but....

I never stayed at the Times Square Hilton. How does it compare with the Hilton on the Avenue of the Americas?

I've never been partial to Hilton hotels. The only one I really liked was the one across the street from the World Trade Towers, but I'm pretty sure it was damaged in 9/11. Don't know if it's still operating.

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
Some people say Waldorf is past it's prime, but that's usually because they live in the cheap rooms. I can tell you that the nicer suites are competitive with most hotels, and the service is quite exceptional. The ritz on the park is wonderful of course.

I didn't have one of the bigger suites so you may be right. But I can tell you my room was anything but "cheap"!

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno the Waldorf just feels ever so slightly tired now. It has the slight veneer of past glory that LabelKing loves so much.

We've had better luck with boutique hotels in NYC. The Benjamin is nice.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
I dunno the Waldorf just feels ever so slightly tired now. It has the slight veneer of past glory that LabelKing loves so much.

We've had better luck with boutique hotels in NYC. The Benjamin is nice.

So, what exactly makes it feel "tired"? I don't disagree, I just want to understand why you feel this way, but then I guess I prefer "tired" places, rather than trendy boutique hotels with furniture that will be outdated the next time Heidi Slimane sneezes and with Jersey boy out of towners for clientel. I prefer to minimize the amount of skin tight D&G shirts within sight.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Waldorf Towers is great, the Waldorf Astoria is too tourist packed. Same faded glory, but the ambience is totally different.

Also, our rooms there have averaged close to 800 sf and they allow our dog to stay.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
I dunno the Waldorf just feels ever so slightly tired now. It has the slight veneer of past glory that LabelKing loves so much. We've had better luck with boutique hotels in NYC. The Benjamin is nice.
Is the Benjamin the hotel that's owned by the same folks as the Delano in South Beach?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hchamp
I never stayed at the Times Square Hilton. How does it compare with the Hilton on the Avenue of the Americas? I've never been partial to Hilton hotels. The only one I really liked was the one across the street from the World Trade Towers, but I'm pretty sure it was damaged in 9/11. Don't know if it's still operating.
In case I wasn't clear, I was saying the Hilton Times Square is nicer than the Waldorf Astoria, not the Towers. I am somewhat forced to be Hilton-friendly for corporate reasons (the IBM rates are kick-ass). The suite I got at the Hilton Times Square was over 450 sq. ft. Their regular rooms are like a standard hotel...not huge, but I felt the "upgraded" room I got at the Waldorf Astoria was tiny. I actually called the front desk and asked if they made a mistake and they said "no, that is the upgrade".

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
If you want the best bang for you buck in terms of room size, decent hotel and location you should check out Le Parker Meridian. Also one of the few hotels in NYC ith a pool.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^That was on my initial list above...I've never been there, but heard great things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads