• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sportscoat Shortening

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just searched for threads dealing with how long a sports jacket should be and came across references to a tailor's shortening the jacket. I didn't think that is possible. How is it done? Is this something very few tailors can do well or is it a common procedure among menswear tailors who handle tailored clothing?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I recently bought a SC that I think could stand to be shortened by 0.5"-1" so I too am interested in this. I have a much older, pre-SF, SC that is just as long and I was thinking about taking that to a local tailor and see what the results are before attempting it with my new jacket.

Though if someone on here can shed some light I'd like to avoid the extra time and expense :)

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It can be done.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is possible but since it is more about remaking the front curve of the jacket, remaking the vents, some tailors will do it better than others. Big difference is if the jacket is fused or has canvass. If canvassed you have to trim the canvass and redo the edge tape and work the fronts so they fall in. This and how well they duplicate any topstitching or handstitching will show you how skilled they are.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to work for T M Lewin and we had jackets shortened all the time. The trick is only shortening it less that the amount that would disturb the overall look. For example, if your bottom button is 10" from the bottom of the jacket, then -1" isn't a problem. -2" would start to look a little odd, and -3" looks silly.

Make sure its a decent tailor. This doesn't mean expensive, just attentive. I could have jackets shortened for about £15, but the guy would always perfectly replicate the original curve, and normally leave some cloth inside, so that corrections can be made. On the other hand there are guys out there who will charge £75, and just cut the base of the jacket off and sew it shut straight. These should be avoided at all costs.

malat

Reaction score
I just had this done. Had about 1/2" removed from a new navy blazer. As Despos mentioned, he re-worked the curve of the jacket so the balance was not off. My bottom button is a little less than 9.5" from the bottom of the jacket. Looks great, but make sure you use a really talented tailor and not someone at your laundry/dry cleaner service. This cost me $140 (which included replaced buttons).

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm having two jackets done with different seamstresses. My main seamstress is doing one for $25, the other seamstress, who did good work for me several times, is charging $30. Both sound like they're ver experienced in this - for both women and men.:)

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm having two jackets done with different seamstresses. My main seamstress is doing one for $25, the other seamstress, who did good work for me several times, is charging $30. Both sound like they're ver experienced in this - for both women and men.:)

:cry:

Aqualung

Reaction score
I've just searched for threads dealing with how long a sports jacket should be and came across references to a tailor's shortening the jacket. I didn't think that is possible. How is it done? Is this something very few tailors can do well or is it a common procedure among menswear tailors who handle tailored clothing?

It's never done and even if a tailor could do it it would be stupid and expensive. Just buy the right size to begin with. The reason that you even hear about this on here is that many people buy used clothes that don't fit and then spend a $100 trying to alter the clothes.
crackup[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads