• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coats and Jeans

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for your quick replies. You've saved me making an expensive mistake
I'll post some more options when I find something else I like.

I think the best options to pair with jeans are heavily textured and/or larger patterned, 3 patch pockets and a bit shorter than the norm. You could also include pleated pockets and patch flap pockets with buttons.

Color, as long as it is not a solid navy or black, is really not that important.

DL-

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nat Jag

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting my first sports coat to pair with jeans and chinos (an all rounder). However, from my previous post and replies (plus looking back over this ahead) it looks like it's better to have a different jacket for each. It seems you need more texture to pair with jeans, which wouldn't be a good pairing with chino's. Large checks aren't great for me, as I'm slim and small, these seem to highlight that rather than compliment my body type. I found tighter patterns work better for me (on shirts that is).

I have seen this fabric which might be ok, it's quite a heavy cloth, maybe not enough texture to it. I look to you guys for your valued opinion. I've yet to find an affordable tweed sports coat that fits well. I'm looking at grey as it seems this will pair with more items.

image_1031_2914_original.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't like that grey jacket above.

As you can see, when paired with a white shirt/tie, it dresses up well.

I just don't like the color/texture to dress down with jeans. Especially for your first SC.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting my first sports coat to pair with jeans and chinos (an all rounder). However, from my previous post and replies (plus looking back over this ahead) it looks like it's better to have a different jacket for each. It seems you need more texture to pair with jeans, which wouldn't be a good pairing with chino's. Large checks aren't great for me, as I'm slim and small, these seem to highlight that rather than compliment my body type. I found tighter patterns work better for me (on shirts that is).

I have seen this fabric which might be ok, it's quite a heavy cloth, maybe not enough texture to it. I look to you guys for your valued opinion. I've yet to find an affordable tweed sports coat that fits well. I'm looking at grey as it seems this will pair with more items.

View attachment 1155352

If you feel uncomfortable with large patterns, try something like a flecked Donegal tweed, maybe in brown. That has a distinctively casual pattern and isn't large scale.

You don't need different jackets for chinos and jeans.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Co-signing the above.
I have a grey Donegal that I think works well with dark jeans. I may have even posted a pic on this thread somewhere. Anyway it’s a versatile casual jacket. I sometimes wear it with rust wool strides or heavy tan chinos. More for the winter than summer.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spring time clothes switchover and time to see what still fits. Can't get the light to work for me, hence in parts
(And dont call child services, mom is somewhere around...)

20190406_170816.jpg

20190406_161256.jpg
20190406_161112.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads