• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coats and Jeans

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Aww you crashed in too soon. I posted that expecting the very responses given including the gay part. Also expected them to recommend what you mentioned :)

The whole point was to see whether there's anyone left here who is willing to go further beyond the usual boring stuff. Perhaps there's a new friend to barter ideas with. I actually wear the sportjacket outfit today just to see people's responses IRL. Neutral opinions, next experiment...

I much prefer 'Boring stuff' to bad taste TBH.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I much prefer 'Boring stuff' to bad taste TBH.

Dropping the usual "it's ugly" or "it's ****" doesn't help others in their pursuit of creating an arsenal of personal looks. If you don't say anything of value that's just projecting arrogance in defense of your own style. If you think your style is superior then try to educate by giving suggestions. Finally if you just have nothing good to say then you know what to do.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dropping the usual "it's ugly" or "it's ****" doesn't help others in their pursuit of creating an arsenal of personal looks. If you don't say anything of value that's just projecting arrogance in defense of your own style. If you think your style is superior then try to educate by giving suggestions. Finally if you just have nothing good to say then you know what to do.

Then why post on a public forum? You can't get upset at people for voicing their opinion, whether good or bad.

I think if you rocked a white T shirt instead of pink, it would break up the outfit. :)

Hell, I like wearing pale pink dress shirts. They look great with grey trousers. But IMO anything other than pale aka very light pink doesn't look very masculine.

Most "fashion" Instagram bloggers are just trying to get views and likes to get free cologne from their ****** sponsors.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole point was to see whether there's anyone left here who is willing to go further beyond the usual boring stuff. Perhaps there's a new friend to barter ideas with.

The outfit you listed was horrible. Certainly not classic menswear. SWD would probably be a better forum for you.

emptym

Reaction score
I think the main cause of discord is that you like to stand out in an obvious manner while people here tend to like to stand out in a more subtle way.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only time I’ve ever seen a round neck work under a blazer is a hooped Breton style shirt with a very casual cotton / textured / unconstructed type jacket. Otherwise it just looks like underwear. In this case colourful underwear, but underwear nonetheless.

Maybe that can be written off as a personal prejudice and thus more subjective than objective, but under a ‘tailored’ sports jacket / blazer (ie not blouson, moto, trucker, etc) something with a collar will trump something without a collar in almost every case.

I really like the Piquadro brief case. I have the same one in royal blue. Had it a couple of years now and with regular use it still looks - and smells! - brand new.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certainly not classic menswear. SWD would probably be a better forum for you.
Is SC and jeans really CM though? Technically SC-and-chinos is more so. Jeans were, during any kind of definition of "classic" not from the SW&D group, workwear, hardly associated with the dressy with-SC look preferred on this thread. Jeans-as-CM is a recent invention. It's just that the CM guys are more likely to wear jeans-and-SC than the SW&D guys who seem to prefer a clean break with CM. So the thread is here.

iu

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the main cause of discord is that you like to stand out in an obvious manner while people here tend to like to stand out in a more subtle way.
I'm not sure about this reading of the forum's style. A number of very liked posters here regularly post fits (here or on IG) that are considerably flashier IMHO. Our very own @Caustic Man 's last few:

upload_2018-9-23_9-41-0.png upload_2018-9-23_9-41-12.png upload_2018-9-23_9-41-49.png

I single him out because of his relatively deep understanding of the various trad aesthetics and his choice of bold colours and fits (which is, again IMHO, historically accurate at least in spirit). Riva's post (lack of collar aside) had much more muted tones and patterns - I mean, how can you be more bold than a deep red coat and horizontal striped trousers? It's just that Riva's does not fit within the three most popular families on this forum (anglophiles, trads, Italians) and so stands out and calls for criticism.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next time I wear my T tucked in, i am calling you to defend me.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to say this but I think the jeans and sportcoat look is on the way out. Moleskins or Corduroy seem more modern now in a sense (ironically) and more put together. I’ve also realized I’m more into “casual suits” myself now instead of separates. I like flannel suits and tweeds especially.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to say this but I think the jeans and sportcoat look is on the way out. Moleskins or Corduroy seem more modern now in a sense (ironically) and more put together. I’ve also realized I’m more into “casual suits” myself now instead of separates. I like flannel suits and tweeds especially.

100%

emptym

Reaction score
I'm not sure about this reading of the forum's style. A number of very liked posters here regularly post fits (here or on IG) that are considerably flashier IMHO. Our very own @Caustic Man 's last few:

View attachment 1040190 View attachment 1040191 View attachment 1040192

I single him out because of his relatively deep understanding of the various trad aesthetics and his choice of bold colours and fits (which is, again IMHO, historically accurate at least in spirit). Riva's post (lack of collar aside) had much more muted tones and patterns - I mean, how can you be more bold than a deep red coat and horizontal striped trousers? It's just that Riva's does not fit within the three most popular families on this forum (anglophiles, trads, Italians) and so stands out and calls for criticism.
Well, I think there's more to standing out that wearing bold colors and patterns. Fit, styling, combination of items, and probably more, matters too. Yes, CM, whose stye I generally like, has written that he enjoys standing out in the sense of breaking "rules." But as you mentioned, he tends to do so in a way that is historically grounded in some trad GTH/FU style. And imo, it is precisely because his style is grounded in a historical school that it doesn't stand out as much as someone wanting to create his own way. CM has said he wears things that signal he's part of a group, while Riva says he wears things to signal he isn't part of a group (namely waiter or salesman).

But I haven't really studied Riva or CM's style, so I'm sure Riva could explain better than I what his goals are when dressing and CM could articulate for you better what distinguishes his style from Riva when they both wear bold colors.

I do think you're right that this forum (at least the CM side) leans heavily toward British/US/Italian style. But others have successfully worn African (@Tirailleur1, @barims) and Asian elements (@LabelKing) here. I've even posted a Barong or two. Is Riva's style grounded in some tradition of dress if not the three you mention? I think you mentioned something about his style fitting in in Asia better than here, but I've lived and traveled fairly extensively in Asia (including 2-3 months in Indonesia) and wouldn't recognize it. Although I think you make a good point about the light being different there than most of the US and Europe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads