• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sperry vs Quoddy

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
the reason o'connel had them for so cheap is because they probably had old stock. with the recent surge in popularity, quoddy has to hire on more workers and jumped up the price of their shoes.
Sounds like a whole new economic theory - some sort of reverse economies of scale?

Mr T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
On sizing, the mocs seem to run true to size. I am a 10 E and they fit just like other similar shoes (LL Bean for example).

Agreed. True to my size 9.5 as well.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Sounds like a whole new economic theory - some sort of reverse economies of scale?

Yeah, I agree. Unless the price of materials went up, shouldn't they be able to justify those extra workers by selling more shoes, thereby keeping prices relatively stable.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
Navy Alden boat shoes are pretty nice looking IMO.

+1 thats the first pair of boat shoes i've seen that i would actually consider wearing.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

its a bare market for boat shoes right now.

get in while things are cheap!
fistbump.gif

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score

as the popularity rise they had to increase their staff to meet demand, so that does raise infastructure costs, no? and they can raise their price because people are willing to pay it for a quality product.

$100ish for a made in america shoe with a leather quality as nice as some AE's I've seen was too good to be true, although I'm glad I got my bluchers while it lasted.

mocs fit true to size or if you have a narrow foot you could probably size down a half size.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PartagasIV
I wear a 12 in Sperrys...would this translate to a half size down with Quoddys?

I'm a 12 in Sperry and am a wear in both the 3 eyelet blucher and the canoe moc

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as the popularity rise they had to increase their staff to meet demand, so that does raise infastructure costs, no? and they can raise their price because people are willing to pay it for a quality product.

$100ish for a made in america shoe with a leather quality as nice as some AE's I've seen was too good to be true, although I'm glad I got my bluchers while it lasted.

mocs fit true to size or if you have a narrow foot you could probably size down a half size.

I agree that for what you get Quoddys are a bargain, and perhaps they are just reacting to this reality. BUT, I still do not believe that because they are selling more shoes, and need to hire more people, that they need to raise prices. This does not make sense. You invest your capital in your inventories and marginal costs such as salaries, and make it back when you sell your product. This is what bank loans and lines of credit are for. Also, commodity prices are testing lows, so the leather, rubber, nickel grommets, etc., not to mention the oil or gas to heat the factory in Maine, are all cheaper.

Now, perhaps they could not get a loan, and need the money faster to pay all these new workers. Perhaps their profits were razer thin by design in order to build a following and the current model is simply now sustainable. There could be many reasons for raising prices. But if Quoddy is increasing prices during the worst economic slowdown since the Great Depression because they are SELLING MORE SHOES, something is quite wrong.

(Stepping off soapbox now)

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as the popularity rise they had to increase their staff to meet demand, so that does raise infastructure costs, no?
No - labor is a variable cost (to keep things simple) so the # of man-hours to complete a shoe is the same no matter how many shoes are produced (assuming there's no gain in productivity - again to keep things simple). However, fixed costs (rent, management costs and offices, etc) are not variable and can be spread over a larger revenue base when sales increase. Therefore, margins increase when sales go up (and not the opposite). In some instance with very high capital costs, there are step functions in costs (e.g. build a whole new furnace) but not in this type of business.
and they can raise their price because people are willing to pay it for a quality product.
Yes. That they can. It's called milking the cow (the cow being you guys of course)

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHS
mooooo

smile.gif

That was not meant in a pejorative way btw. All brands need their cows and I'm a cow for some of them...

HHS

Reaction score
smile.gif

That was not meant in a pejorative way btw. All brands need their cows and I'm a cow for some of them...

Not taken that way at all, no worries...

I had just ordered the navy/brick bluchers immediately before reading the thread - so I had to actually moo when I saw the post - I moo because it's true!
nod[1].gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHS
I had just ordered the navy/brick bluchers immediately before reading the thread - so I had to actually moo when I saw the post - I moo because it's true!
nod[1].gif

These are pretty cool, I must say - too much $ IMO but still cool

gavb

Reaction score
i realise the thread is years old but it annoyed me! ive owned both and felt ripped off at sopending the extra 100 on quoddies. there is no difference in the 2,both qualitylether and construction. so do the math ,buy sperry,all day

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads