• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spandex question

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a method for "stretching" a piece of material make of nylon and spandex (8%, I think)? I mean stretching so it remains larger than it initially was. The idea would be for that piece of clothing not too feel as tight.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Not sure if this is possible. By nature, spandex, and similar fabrics such as lycra, are designed to conform to the wearer. But the level of conformity is entirely dependent on the basic size of the garment. The nylon within it plus the spandex makes me think it's not possible to stretch it, or only as much as the 8% spandex allows. What kind of garment is it? Is it too small or too large?

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what I feared. It's a Guess bathing suit I found on sale yesterday, last one. It feels a little tight at the hips, it's a very small small. I may have to return it, then. It's a shame, it fits nicely and flatteringly otherwise.
frown.gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had spandex cycling shorts that have stretched out over a period of use. It may be possible to increase the size by placing the garment on a larger form for an extended period of time.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you, Fabienne, for the wonderful mental image I'll carry at least through the rest of the day.
smile.gif

nmoraitis

Reaction score
I have a golf shirt that is a composite of cotton and spandex. I found that streching out the material with my hands and holding it in that position for a couple of minutes really helped.

mrchapel

Reaction score
On second thought, do you have access to vice grips or a similar device that you can hook it to securely and then pull the living daylights out of it to see if it'll stretch itself out? Be careful though; wouldn't want to rip it, though nylon is a very strong fabric.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Or you could just ask your husband to wear it around the house for a day or two.
wink.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrchapel
On second thought, do you have access to vice grips or a similar device that you can hook it to securely and then pull the living daylights out of it to see if it'll stretch itself out? Be careful though; wouldn't want to rip it, though nylon is a very strong fabric.

vice grips sound dangerous to a bathing suit... you could probably have some success just using your hands to stretch it out, it would probably be safer.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This could be likened to fighting a rubber band: it's actually 15% spandex!
I stretched it for several hours over a bathroom towel rack, and it doesn't seem to have done a whole lot. Does material containing spandex tend to expand some when wet?

stach

Reaction score
If it's tight at the leg holes you're out of luck due to the seaming stitches. If it's tight at the butt try wearing it overnight or around the house for a few days. Spandex eventually stretches out.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stach
If it's tight at the leg holes you're out of luck due to the seaming stitches. If it's tight at the butt try wearing it overnight or around the house for a few days. Spandex eventually stretches out.

It's a hipster cut with bows on the sides (you cannot undo the bows). It is a the site of the bows that it feels it is digging in a little too much. Seams, then?

stach

Reaction score
Yes, are you the sewing type? I bet if you open up the seams right inside the legs there you might find a little extra fabric to let out.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne
Does material containing spandex tend to expand some when wet?

Yes, spandex does expand when wet but I'm not sure how 15% would respond.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I imagine it will stretch after some time. I believe most non-tie suits will stretch at least especially after being worn in the water, but i'm not sure how much effort it will take.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads