• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Source for reasonably priced high quality sport coats

radio3

Reaction score
I love the casual and laid back but mature look that David Gandy seems to excel at. He generally wears sport coats with t-shirts and nice trousers+shoes. It looks grown up yet just as youthful and relaxed, really, as jeans and sneakers.

Could anyone advise on where to get the kind of casual sport coats he wears, however? They don’t look cheap like Uniqlo or something, but I imagine it must be possible to get something of similar quality somewhere for say 2 or 3 hundred bucks.
A7E2CDDC-483F-4826-A380-DEA144911612.jpeg
4FF30C89-B25A-457A-9035-B838F2CD2287.jpeg
DBD813D3-B2B4-4F23-8175-42136A27EA23.jpeg

8600EBA5-372F-4D45-A6C3-D8283E5E6AA2.png

MarkWinter

Reaction score
We have a great range of Boglioli sportcoats in this price range. Similar fit, as the ones on Mr. Gandy. Let me know, if you like any of them:

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren will be more structured than the "soft" coats pictured above. Your best bets are Italian makers. Boglioli makes wonderful stuff in cottons. Also try LBM 1911 and Eleventy, though both retail closer to 1k. Eidos used to sell similar offerings, but I have not followed the brand in a few years.

blandcs2000

Reaction score
I would just go onto YOOX and sort their blazer selection by price or check out the stuff for sale here. On YOOX, virtually all of their blazers / sport coats are unstructured, and while they have a lot of crap (nylon / polyester, overly fashion forward nonsense, etc.) you can also find some very decent, unstructured things at deep discounts, such as LBM 1911, Eleventy, even Boglioli starting around $200 and up. There are also some very good deals on the Styleforum Marketplace.

In terms of fabric, pure cotton can sometimes be a bit stiff (depending on the quality) but blends of cotton, linen, silk, wool, etc. can often achieve a nice casual (but not sloppy) drape, as well as tropical weight wool. Pure linen wrinkles almost instantly (which is part of its unique aesthetic) which some like and some don't.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
YOOX and Sartoriale both good, and second recommendations for Boglioli and 1911.

Also, recommend you check out Spier and Mackay

radio3

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I’ll dig through them. The Boglioli look great but out of my price range. My hope was to find some nice ones in the $300 or so range, if indeed it’s possible to find good quality there. Sartoriale looks like a US company? I prefer something in Europe to avoid paying the crazy EU import tariffs. Yoox is something I hadn’t thought of for this but looks good.

I have never bought a casual blazer before and come from formal suits and blazers where it’s critical to do tailoring. Is it common to just go with off the rack for casual or is fit really just as important as for suits? Just curious what you guys do for fit since can’t try on buying online.

Casaubon

Reaction score
I cannot overemphasize how impressed I was with Gagliardi's quality to price ratio. Fabrics often come from well known mills, jackets have half-canvassed structuring, viscose lining plus, the styles overall do not look cheap. They also offer a lot of sport coats. From what I can see on their webpage, the prices go from 219 to 349 EUR for jackets. Go for the higher priced ones to avoid synthetics. They're based in Malta so I guess import tariffs wouldn't be a problem. The only problem is that their jackets tend to be of slimmer and shorter cuts (although there are different lengths). But as long as you get the measurements right, I'm sure you won't have a problem. Also, I do not know if any of their sport coats are unstructured, you'd probably have to check with them.

radio3

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional option I wasn't aware of.

What does everyone think of Suitsupply for casual jackets? I have a formal blazer from them that I like, but maybe they are uninspired or boring for more casual? I don't have enough knowledge to judge.

Also, if anyone could advise on what fit type I might want to go with. I am only 6' 160lb so of slim build, but my measurements might already reflect that and additionally selecting a "slim fit" might not be preferable for casual?

blandcs2000

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I’ll dig through them. The Boglioli look great but out of my price range. My hope was to find some nice ones in the $300 or so range, if indeed it’s possible to find good quality there. Sartoriale looks like a US company? I prefer something in Europe to avoid paying the crazy EU import tariffs. Yoox is something I hadn’t thought of for this but looks good.

I have never bought a casual blazer before and come from formal suits and blazers where it’s critical to do tailoring. Is it common to just go with off the rack for casual or is fit really just as important as for suits? Just curious what you guys do for fit since can’t try on buying online.

I would say that if you are going for a sprazzatura kind of look with your casual blazer, then fit is very important, as a poorly fitting casual garment will just look sloppy. Just budget in tailoring costs. A $200 blazer that you have spent $50 tailoring to fit your body perfectly will generally look a lot better than a $300 one that fits poorly. If you want nicer things at a budget, buying gentle used but recent garments from a reputable seller (like the marketplace here) is your best bet

blandcs2000

Reaction score
Any opinions on Suitsupply for these (as opposed to suits)?

They do good work. I have a few of their suits and the quality is fairly high for their price. They do have some unstructured blazers, however they mostly start at around 399 USD so they seem a bit above the price limits you cited above.

Having never owned one of their unstructured pieces I can personally attest to their quality specifically.

Unstructured / casual tailoring is not what Suitsupply are known for, so the selection may be somewhat limited compared to some of the other options discussed.

radio3

Reaction score
Check out Spier&McKay and eHabidasher's Benjamin line for casual sports coats.

These look really great. Too bad I don’t know of something similar in Europe.

Thanks a lot for all the advice everyone. Learning a huge amount.

Anachronist

Reaction score
If you’re in Europe try out Boggi. They offer some decent value for money sport jackets with the Italian cut. Alternatively, try Windsor or Oscar Jacobsen, who have reasonably priced and more casual sport jackets. There is also Hackett, but their quality is not what it used to be and the cut (and price point) IMHO questionable. In the entry range, Tom Rusborg might be an option, too although I don’t have any own experience with their quality and fit. There is also Eduard Dressler from Germany, but their cut is a bit dated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads