• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Source for reasonably priced high quality sport coats

JustinW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These look really great. Too bad I don’t know of something similar in Europe.

Thanks a lot for all the advice everyone. Learning a huge amount.
EHabidasher started in the U.K. and still has a London shop, right @eHaberdasher?

ValidusLA

Reaction score
Any opinions on Suitsupply for these (as opposed to suits)?
I just bought a fairly unstructured jacket from SS. My first purchase there. I usually can't buy OTR, but their drop is aggressive enough that w/ some tailoring i made it work. Sportcoat out of a nice VBC cloth, came out at like 540 including tax (Los Angeles taxes suck).

radio3

Reaction score
My jacket size is 40 but my waist only 31. Do you have a similar drop and find SS to be especially good for you?

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

ValidusLA

Reaction score
My jacket size is 40 but my waist only 31. Do you have a similar drop and find SS to be especially good for you?
My jacket / shoulders OTR comes out to a 46 and I wear a 35 trouser. Almost all American OTR stuff is like...Drop 5 or 6 and wouldn't come close to working for either of us.
The SS I went into only had 2 jackets in 46 at all. I tried on 1, didn't like the other, and the taper / suppression was enough that i bought it and w/ slight alteration I will be happy with it. I would imagine at 40 Shoulder Drop 9 you should at least give it a try. Havana I think is their most tapered cut, whereas Lazio and Jort are not as much so.

Casaubon

Reaction score
Regarding your original question, I also remembered that Massimo Dutti had coats like that at one point, which would definitely fit well within your price range. The ones I can see on their website now seem to be structured, so youunless you'd like to opt for something this casual and youthful: https://www.massimodutti.com/fr/en/men/promotion/blazers/cotton-blazer-cardigan-with-contrast-hood-c1745921p8446944.html?colorId=812&categoryId=1745921
Other blazers that they currently have in offer seem to be structured, but something might come up. I cannot attest to the quality as I do not own any, but I do have a topcoat of theirs which I am quite satisfied with.

MarkWinter

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I’ll dig through them. The Boglioli look great but out of my price range. My hope was to find some nice ones in the $300 or so range, if indeed it’s possible to find good quality there. Sartoriale looks like a US company? I prefer something in Europe to avoid paying the crazy EU import tariffs. Yoox is something I hadn’t thought of for this but looks good.

I have never bought a casual blazer before and come from formal suits and blazers where it’s critical to do tailoring. Is it common to just go with off the rack for casual or is fit really just as important as for suits? Just curious what you guys do for fit since can’t try on buying online.
SARTORIALE is a US company, who ships from an EU warehouse. So you don't need to worry about customs when ordering from us. Let me know, if you have any questions about our products.

mlstein

Reaction score
Looking at the photos it seems that you've got two different kinds of garment there. One is the unstructured jacket that you've been getting advice about but the others (especially the first two) are knit blazers, something like a blazer-like cardigan. I've seen these referred to as "swackets" or "swazers" which are ugly words but convey the in-between character of the garment. Be sure you know what you're looking for. (The link goes to an article with mostly inexpensive knit blazers.)

radio3

Reaction score
Really like these last couple posts. Impressed with Sartoriale and yes I was not aware of swackets but I like them.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.