• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some slubby silk Drakes neckties

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
What's next then? Cravats?

Bolo?

- B

Hopefully not. I've never been able to work the bolo.

I don't have much of a sense right now of what will come next. I usually find myself getting interested in something and looking around for more of it and can't find it anywhere. And then a year or three later the item I was looking for seems to be everywhere. It's very frustrating. It happened with solid ties, knit ties, striped socks, peak lapels, zip-neck sweaters, and adelaide-style shoes, among other things. I'd say I was ahead of my time except that most of these things aren't exactly novel, they just went out of style at some point. So maybe I'm just really really behind.

I do think we're about to see the return of pin-collar shirts, and I think people are going to start wearing their pants a lot higher. But other than that, I don't have any great prognostications right now.

When I was looking around for shantung silk ties a while back the only online outlets I could find were harvey and hudson http://www.harvieandhudson.com/c/Tie..._Silk_Ties.htm, which I'm sure are nice but don't look particularly slubby, Beau ties http://search.beautiesltd.com/search...words-shantung, which has a pretty limited color selection, and a place in NC called Salem Neckwear http://www.atomic.net/~neckties/imag...IONIscreen.jpg. I tried the latter and wasn't that crazy about the ties. I also got some Thai shot silk swatches from Sam Hober. They were quite nice but they weren't very slubby.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggen
I'll put my vote on wooden ties.

http://www.woodenties.co.uk/

"Wearing a Wood Tie denotes: class, stature, smoothness and of course a sense of humour."

laugh.gif

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv3
"Wearing a Wood Tie denotes: class, stature, smoothness and of course a sense of humour."

Humour, yes; humor, no.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- B

Hell, Vox, are those your reading glasses? They look like something an old virgin grade school teacher with a bun would wear.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
Hell, Vox, are those your reading glasses? They look like something an old virgin grade school teacher with a bun would wear.

So you're saying you want to do Voxy-mama?

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh... I think the German "alte Jungfer" probably isn't translated well by "old virgin". It doesn't mean MILF, but old, frigid woman.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Do like the teacup Vox. Is it HermÃ
00a9.png
s?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hermès (damned difficult to find the grave)

blush.gif
schooled.

CBtoNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Hermès (damned difficult to find the aigu)

Thornhill found the aigu. You (correctly) found the grave.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, what about the glasses? Your secretary forgot them there?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
So, what about the glasses? Your secretary forgot them there?

laugh.gif
Not a fan of collegiate style, are you?

In all honesty, these are temporary ones because I stepped on my old Porsche P'8810s:

porsche-design-glasses-p8810.jpg

I'm having a pair of Gold & Wood frames being made up now into reading glasses...sort of like so...

yhst-50888373590496_2084_36131647

...but with the temples in natural dark brown horn. I'll probably also replace the Porsches since they are great for travel.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Bergdorf has these for $135.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that they're 8cm, which is the width in which I get Hober grenadines. I'm not religious about blade width in ties...odd, I know...and wear anything from 3 to 3.75". - B
This is good news to me, although being the metric-hater that I am I had to look up what this equates to in inches (3 5/16). That is within my tolerance of 2 3/4 to 3 1/4". As for the debate on business wear, I would have no problem pairing these ties with a suit for a day at the office or client meetings in the summer. None at all. While I work in finance, I find plenty of opportunity for individually, especially with ties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads