• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some slubby silk Drakes neckties

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've always loved tussah, or raw silk, ties. Tussah silk (tussah means wild) is a plain weave silk fabric from "wild" silk worms. It has irregular thick and thin yarns creating uneven surface and color. Wild silkworms feed on leaves other than mulberry leaves. Tussah silk is similar to shantung, although shantung is a form of Dupioni, which is reeled from double cocoons nested together. The threads are uneven and irregular in all these varieties.

Great raw slubby silk ties are hard to find, but this season, Drakes is producing some exceptional ones. I plan on stocking up on as many as I can, and here is my start (pics clickable for gigantic versions):

Nice envelope edges:

While often thought of as a warm weather tie, this is one of those rules I do not follow.

Will has a nice writeup on the new Drakes, and he notes that he will have versions available in a few weeks.

- B

EasyGoing

Reaction score
There were several at Barney's around Christmastime.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those are nice - especially the blue/yellow and blue/green. LH makes them as well - enormous selection if you find yourself in Naples.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Really beautiful stuff, Vox.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Is this just another name for shantung? It looks identical, and neither looks anything like dupioni.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ties for sanitation workers wearing their hopsack suits?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Is this just another name for shantung? It looks identical, and neither looks anything like dupioni.

I didn't think shantung was nearly so slubby.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Ties for sanitation workers wearing their hopsack suits?

As well as others who are insecure about their class and do not grasp intangibles.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'd be curious to hear about the differences. Might be a good question for Sam Hober.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I've always loved tussah, or raw silk, ties. Tussah silk (tussah means wild) is a plain weave silk fabric from "wild" silk worms. It has irregular thick and thin yarns creating uneven surface and color. Wild silkworms feed on leaves other than mulberry leaves. Tussah silk is similar to shantung, although shantung is a form of Dupioni, which is reeled from double cocoons nested together. The threads are uneven and irregular in all these varieties.

Great raw slubby silk ties are hard to find, but this season, Drakes is producing some exceptional ones. I plan on stocking up on as many as I can, and here is my start:

Nice envelope edges:

While often thought of as a warm weather tie, this is one of those rules I do not follow.

Will has a nice writeup on the new Drakes, and he notes that he will have versions available in a few weeks.

- B

Raw silk ties meet with my approval as well. I have quite a few in summer colours with a shot effect. Nice.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful ties, Bill. And kudos on the new Steed.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of solids which never get worn....couldn't even tell you where they are..

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

Originally Posted by mafoofan

Well, my understanding is that a Shantung is a form of a Dupioni, in which case the worms are fed from mulberry leaves. In tussah or raw silk, the silkworms feed on other trees as well so the resulting silk is not as refined.

Corrections welcome.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I have a couple of solids which never get worn....couldn't even tell you where they are..

Bastard.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads