• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solid charcoal suit vs. striped Navy suit - Need your opinions

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dont mind double pleats on suits, dont like them with sportcoats.

Up to you, i have an excellent tailor local to me that i trust for alterations work. I would bring it to someone who works on high end clothes, and does excellent work.

Glad you're happy with the suit, i figured you would like it!

which tie did you end up going with?
Brian

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I dont mind double pleats on suits, dont like them with sportcoats.

Up to you, i have an excellent tailor local to me that i trust for alterations work. I would bring it to someone who works on high end clothes, and does excellent work.

Glad you're happy with the suit, i figured you would like it!

which tie did you end up going with?
Brian

Haven't decided on a tie yet, but I depending on how I match it with the shoes, I might pick up a nice Charvet tie from the current Saks sale or go with a nice Brioni one that I have. I will take a pic when I have the outfit put together. Thanks for the recommendation.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
looking forward to the pics.

I wouldnt worry about matching it to the shoes, match it to the whole look.

Dark suit, dark tie, light shirt, dark shoes.

similar to PhatGuido's look here:

L1060825.jpg

My Recommend is a very similar look, Dark solid suit (grey instead), Dark pindot or satin tie (wine or burgundy) instead of Navy in pindots, white shirt and pocket square, Brown shoes.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by feynmix
Haven't decided on a tie yet, but I depending on how I match it with the shoes, I might pick up a nice Charvet tie from the current Saks sale or go with a nice Brioni one that I have. I will take a pic when I have the outfit put together. Thanks for the recommendation.

Glad you like your suit! I personally wouldn't worry too much about the pleats. If they really bug you, make sure you have a really good tailor. Sounds like SG's tailor is quite good. A hack tailor could ruin the pants.

Regarding ties, here's two very useful styles:

ties001pu9.jpg

I believe SG is advocating something like the one on the left, but in Burgundy. I like blue, myself. This kind of tie goes with almost everything, except maybe some sport jackets.

The tie on the right (Charvet) screams out "wedding" to me.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
If you're getting a basic suit, get charcoal. No suit is more versatile than solid charcoal. It goes to weddings, it goes to funerals, it goes to job interviews, it goes to cocktail parties.

I didn't actually look at either of your suits so there may be other factors involved. But if your just getting one good suit, get a solid charcoal suit.

I think this is spot on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads