• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solid black tie with navy or charcoal pinstripe suits?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Change the tie to a black grenadine. With the white-black striped and contrast collar/cuff shirt, dark grey chalkstripe, it looks great. Also, when you tone down the patterns and colours, fit, cut and quality become even more apparent and important. There's no razzle dazzle to steal the show and disguise deficiencies.

Great combination, IMO. Whenever I want to emphasize the cut and quality of my clothing, I do exactly this--wear minimal pattern and color.

Kid609

Reaction score
It'll work if you're a secret service agent, at a funeral, or bassist for the Hives.

kdsvs

Reaction score
I tried the (textured) black tie again with a solid white shirt and 1. charcoal beaded-stripe suit, 2. dark navy shadow-stripe suit. Both looked much better than before, when I was wearing a white shirt w/ thin blue stripes and a lighter navy suit. As long as there's no rule about pairing navy & black, I think the look is fine.

Maybe it's just me, but I find that putting together 3 or more colours just doesn't look right. An exception would be with a colourful tie, but otherwise, 3 solid colours or a random colour accent just look weird. ie. the blue stripes on the aforementioned shirt ruined the look. Another example: blue blazer + blue shirt + grey trousers looks great, but looks off with a pink shirt. White shirt in the outfit is so-so. Anyone else agree?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kdsvs
Maybe it's just me, but I find that putting together 3 or more colours just doesn't look right. An exception would be with a colourful tie, but otherwise, 3 solid colours or a random colour accent just look weird. ie. the blue stripes on the aforementioned shirt ruined the look. Another example: blue blazer + blue shirt + grey trousers looks great, but looks off with a pink shirt. White shirt in the outfit is so-so. Anyone else agree?

Nope. I frequently wear blue blazer + charcoal or gray trousers + pink shirt. Usually my tie and/or pocket square has a blue base with some pink to tie everything together. I would also not rule out a white shirt, though I haven't done it because it seems, well, boring. I _have_ worn a shirt with a white base and gray/black checks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads