• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solid black tie with navy or charcoal pinstripe suits?

kdsvs

Reaction score
I just got a solid black tie and it doesn't seem as versatile as I expected. All my suits are navy or grey/charcoal pinstripe. The problem is, to my eye, the black tie doesn't really work with any of these suits...it seems to require either a black suit or light-coloured suit. Any thoughts?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kdsvs
I just got a solid black tie and it doesn't seem as versatile as I expected. All my suits are navy or grey/charcoal pinstripe. The problem is, to my eye, the black tie doesn't really work with any of these suits...it seems to require either a black suit or light-coloured suit. Any thoughts?

I'd say the charcoal moreso than the navy, but neither, really.

dressed2kill

Reaction score
I think it doesn't work because it challenges colors. Maybe if you got a black tie with blue colors two or could find a way to bring some of the colors from the tie into your suit meaning new tie it would work. As for the charcoal suit I think a solid black would work fine. Look Kdvs first we were fighting now were helping each other out.
smile.gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of shirt are you wearing? Navy solid suit, black textured tie, and white broadcloth shirt is an amazing look, in part because of the no-no of blue-black. It recalls the midnight blue-black formalwear duo and looks very sophisticated.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kdsvs

Solid black is tough with anything but a black suit (I know, i know- don't start THAT again!) and brings to mind a funeral tie. I got a black DKNY seven-fold a few years ago as a present. I have never worn it- the only funeral I have been to recently was out of town, and I forgot to bring the tie.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Conventional wisdom on the board has been that a solid black tie, particularly a black grenadine, will go with just about anything.

bch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Conventional wisdom on the board has been that a solid black tie, particularly a black grenadine, will go with just about anything.

Connery/Bond pulled this look off regularly.

dressed2kill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bch
Connery/Bond pulled this look off regularly.

Thats funny I was thinking the same thing(tie was thin). He also had the TV fold pocket square with plain white shirt.

bch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dressed2kill
Thats funny I was thinking the same thing(tie was thin). He also had the TV fold pocket square with plain white shirt.

And he looked cool as hell with that hat in Dr. No.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Texture is the key though- I really hate satin finish black long ties.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Exactly. Texture is the key though- I really hate satin finish black long ties.
I agree. I'm not a fan of satin ties at all, really.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. I'm not a fan of satin ties at all, really.
I don't mind a polka dot here and there, but solid satin ties are waaaay too Donald for me.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White, cream, light grey, pink, maybe yellow (hm), with or without basic stripes (black/white). This is one combo in which horizontal stripes might work. See Sartorialist's pic of Robert Burke from a few months back. Change the tie to a black grenadine. With the white-black striped and contrast collar/cuff shirt, dark grey chalkstripe, it looks great. Also, when you tone down the patterns and colours, fit, cut and quality become even more apparent and important. There's no razzle dazzle to steal the show and disguise deficiencies.

minimal

Reaction score
This look is much easier to pull off with a textured tie, like a knit. Otherwise, the dark blue of the suit and the black of the tie resemble each other too much and it looks like a mistake.

A navy blue suit and a black knit tie, white shirt, black shoes/belt/socks is just about infallible; almost everyone looks good in it. It may not be genius, but it works.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads