• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sole Welting

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

machine stitched, vertical channel, cut and stitched in one operation. (Click on photo...a window will open, click on "original" below and on the right, pointer will change to a magnifying glass with a "+" in it. click on photo again...voila!)

Yes but you can still see traces of the stitches. That's what I was talking about.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yes but you can still see traces of the stitches. That's what I was talking about.

[shrug] It is a machine-centric process.

This is done by hand...

Last edited:

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There are different methods.
My guys were working on a pair of George Cleverley's this morning. They pulled back the flap for me. It appears that they were not grooved prior to being stitched. I'll post a picture when I have a chance (don't know how to do it, I'll get my son to do it later).

As a personal preference we do the grooving and stitching in two steps. Two separate machines. Even though our stitching machines are designed to do that in one process I feel that doing it in two steps results in better protection of the stitches. IMO it looks better as well.

Picture of G. Cleverley blind stitched. Stitching exposed.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"...don't let best be the enemy of the good. DWFII"

Well said.

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are quite a few talented young people coming up through the ranks: there are the lastmakers Jon Spencer (Foster & Son) and Nicholas Templeman (John Lobb) who by all accounts do excellent work.

I'm rather late to the party, but I'd like to offer my thanks to you for these awfully kind words.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Parhaps that should have been entered:

"......."don't let best be the enemy of the good"."

I don't get it...I'm just getting up from my winter's nap but it looks to be exactly the same words in the same sequence as I originally posted.

--

Last edited:

well-kept

Reaction score
DWF ... Placement of the quotation marks.

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DWF ... Placement of the quotation marks.

Thanks. I didn't see that.

That said I was paraphrasing and absent the context all I remember about it was that it was meant to be a little ironic. IIRC, what I meant was that we should always aspire to do the best, never settle or say "well, it's good, so it's good enough." Or something along those lines. Hard to recreate what I was thinking without a context.

Last edited:

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
Now that you're here, do stick around. We can all benefit from the input of informed forum members such as yourself.
Thanks, I'll see if i can keep up - I try to maintain momentum in doing rather than talking though, fewer distractions that way. I only stumbled upon the previously quoted, rather old, words from bengal-stripe after running my name through Google, for reasons other than sheer narcissism, though I should probably try to put my finger closer to the pulse.

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks, I'll see if i can keep up - I try to maintain momentum in doing rather than talking though, fewer distractions that way. I only stumbled upon the previously quoted, rather old, words from bengal-stripe after running my name through Google, for reasons other than sheer narcissism, though I should probably try to put my finger closer to the pulse.

Nick,

I hope you do manage to hang in here in the face of all the pretentious know-it-alls who have never put a knife or awl to leather, never put wax to thread (although they, have invariably read a lot of books or, more likely, a lot of internet postings), yet nevertheless feel compelled to lecture others about the intricacies of shoemaking...as well as teach their old grannys how to suck eggs.

Many have tried, few manage to see it through. But it will be nice to have someone of your stature and learning (Lobbs, eh? St. James?) to talk with.

If you will forgive a small word of advice from someone who has been doing this for a fairly long time...it may help you through the hard spots..."the teacher learns twice."

Welcome...

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
OK guys, as usual, OT and/or insulting posts have and will be deleted. Let's all be on our best behavior.

Last edited:

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crikey. Well, I'd best try to avoid stoking any more fires that may be burning in any case.

In answer to the question of learning, yes, I was at Lobb St James's until quite recently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads