Sock need

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by william, Apr 1, 2007.

1. william

william Senior member

I'm basically between a 9.5D and 10D in most shoe brands. 10D fit the best but they are usually a little looser than I'd like. So...I need a thicker sock to make up for the size difference.

Can anyone suggest a dress sock that is thick, over the calf, but still breathes fairly well? Also, I'm not against using synthetic materials when it comes to socks. Whatever works. Thanks.

Chris

2. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

I realize you want a thicker sock to compensate for a loose shoe. However, you might consider placing tongue or heel pads inside your shoes.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

How about a thin leather insole? That way you can wear whatever socks you want. I do that on a few of my shoes and boots that are just a bit big.

Just a thought.

4. william

william Senior member

Thanks. Insoles didn't really work all that well on a pair of C&J 337 that didn't fit. Those were entirely too big though. I'll look into using an insole/tongue pad again. Thanks for the reminder.

5. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

not sure if you like the styling but Nagrani socks have a certain thickness to their cotton socks.

if you are worried about the designs , there are some that come with a solid dark color around the achilles and lower leg are of the sock so all you will see is solid color when you cross your legs in a chair.

6. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Marcoliani 2650L is thicker than a regular dress sock and available OTC. So are the Pantherella OTC cashmeres, but they are too warm for year-round wear.

7. TheHoff

TheHoff Senior member

Thanks. Insoles didn't really work all that well on a pair of C&J 337 that didn't fit. Those were entirely too big though. I'll look into using an insole/tongue pad again. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm in the exact same boat; even the same size boat -- between a 9.5E and 10D. I use a combination of thin insoles for the large 10's and heel pads for most. I've never seen the tongue pads but maybe I'm not looking hard enough. One other trick that I use when necessary is to wear a very thin ankle-height athletic sock underneath the dress sock. I have some of Chorse's Nagrani socks and they are thick, but not thick enough to make up the 1/4 size problem. They are big enough to comfortably accept another sock underneath.

8. william

william Senior member

Thanks for the tips everybody! Some great ideas here.

Chris