• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't all the English players play in the Football League? :confused:

No some play in the Premier League and some play in non-league. Premier league is full of foreigners anyway.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SHA obviously hasn't read Soccernomics and how the diversity of the EPL is its saving grace. The talented foreigners are what push young Englishmen to play better. England's national side wouldn't be nearly as good as it is, already punching above its weight, if not for the competition in the EPL. English football would devolve into a second rate league if they tried to pull some nationalistic crap like that.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SHA obviously hasn't read Soccernomics and how the diversity of the EPL is its saving grace. The talented foreigners are what push young Englishmen to play better. England's national side wouldn't be nearly as good as it is, already punching above its weight, if not for the competition in the EPL. English football would devolve into a second rate league if they tried to pull some nationalistic crap like that.

Of course, these talented foreigners who are taking the place of young Englishmen are helping them to become better. That's why Spain and Germany do well, because they have clubs who field teams with not a single Spanish/German player in them.

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How thoroughly English of you to highlight the successful counterexamples that currently exist in world football. Now let's look at some similar cases to my argument:

Russia - staffed currently by a majority of Russians
Belgium - " Belgians
Poland - " Poles
Egypt - " Egyptians
USA - " Americans (although that is up for debate as foreign talent is brought in to up the level of the game)
Japan - " Japanese
Turkey - " Turks
China - " Chinese
Australia - " Australians

etc.
etc.
etc.

As can be seen, generally the rest of the world is a state where they try to attract outsiders to play in their domestic league to up the competition, hoping that such a move in league play will benefit their NT.

Brazil is not a viable comparison to England because of its vastly superior population, natural resources, etc.
Germany is not a viable comparison because of their greater wealth and population.

England, in fact, based on population size, natural resources, wealth per capita, and other factors does overly-well in comparison to how it should do. The WC victory in '66 was based, undoubtedly on home-field advantage (almost 1 goal per game average in favor, even before kickoff) - also justifying why Korea fought so far in '02, why Argentina won in '78, why Uruguay won in '30, France in '98, etc. England does significantly better than where they should in world play because of the higher level of competition available in its domestic league.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How thoroughly English of you to highlight the successful counterexamples that currently exist in world football. Now let's look at some similar cases to my argument:
Russia - staffed currently by a majority of Russians Have a good team - semi Finals of Euro 2008?
Belgium - " Belgians Have traditionally done well for themselves and there are only about 10 million people there so not a lot to pick from
Poland - " Poles Poor nation
Egypt - " Egyptians See above
USA - " Americans (although that is up for debate as foreign talent is brought in to up the level of the game) Not the main sport at all
Japan - " Japanese See above
Turkey - " Turks Have done well before
China - " Chinese Don't have a history of playing football as a nation
Australia - " Australians Not the main sport at all, 20 million people to pick from with competition from cricket, Aussie rules, both codes of rugby
etc.
etc.
etc.
As can be seen, generally the rest of the world is a state where they try to attract outsiders to play in their domestic league to up the competition, hoping that such a move in league play will benefit their NT.
Brazil is not a viable comparison to England because of its vastly superior population, natural resources, etc.
Germany is not a viable comparison because of their greater wealth and population.
England, in fact, based on population size, natural resources, wealth per capita, and other factors does overly-well in comparison to how it should do. The WC victory in '66 was based, undoubtedly on home-field advantage (almost 1 goal per game average in favor, even before kickoff) - also justifying why Korea fought so far in '02, why Argentina won in '78, why Uruguay won in '30, France in '98, etc. England does significantly better than where they should in world play because of the higher level of competition available in its domestic league.

Look at the squads for those countries - they all play abroad Russia, Egypt, China and Turkey excepted and a few of the Russians have recently moved back.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_national_football_team#Current_squad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgium_national_football_team#Current_squad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_national_football_team#Current_squad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egypt_national_football_team#Current_squad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_men's_national_soccer_team#Current_squad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_national_football_team#Current_squad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_national_football_team#Current_squad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_national_football_team#Current_squad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_national_football_team#Current_squad (not a single Aussie based player there)

Letting foreigners into English clubs only helps the other countries. Besides, I'd rather have a **** league with fans who have at least visited the country their team plays in than a good national team.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Besides, I'd rather have a **** league with fans who have at least visited the country their team plays in than a good national team.

Oh ok - I was missing the point then. Apologies.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh ok - I was missing the point then. Apologies.

Not at all, I'd rather have both but if it came to it its club before country every time.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really? Havent heard about Hulk but Porto will ask for an arm and a leg for him..Plus we need to get rid of Milito to make room. As for Rossi,he is ok but i was never impressed with him that much. Inter need something in the middle Kucka is coming but i dont know what kind of player he is,i saw a couple of Genoa games and dont know what we see in him. Last nights Rome Derby was fantastic,Hernanes was great to watch.I wanted him to get the ball all the time. Sadly another player we could have got but missed out on.
Another Inter fan? Excellent! Yes, Inter want Hulk but you're right: the $$$ will be high. His release clause is reportedly €100 million!!! I read that last summer Porto rejected a £23-25M offer for him from Arsenal. I would like Rossi at Inter. Milito-Pazzini isn't working, Forlan is out for 2 months at least, Zarate is a ball-hog. Hopefully Sneijder can organize the attack a bit better. Sneijder v. Hazard tomorrow should be good. I don't understand the Kucka situation; I thought it was a done deal for January but now Kucka says he wants to stay at Genoa, and that he's not sure if he will be going to Inter. Boh. In any case Kucka is not a difference-maker. I would rather have Ilicic. Meanwhile the striker Inter should have signed instead of Zarate, Palacios (Genoa), is leading Serie A in scoring...it's that kind of year for us.... I know nothing about the latest Inter love-interest, Maxime Gonalons of Lyon.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^
Ha! I forgot. Makes the win even sweeter...

Last edited:

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^
Ha! I forgot. Makes the win even sweeter...

Oh right, you're Dutch. I wondered why you italicised losing.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

:worship2:

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
It was the Dutch coach that got them so far.

Okay, enough from me for now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads