• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK, I take it back, we're still cool.

Plus, I'll need an AC Milan foil at derby time! :)
And you're a damned good poster.
I am surprised you support Milan, though, since traditionally Inter have always been the "argentine" team in Serie A. Zanetti is a god there now.

Oh, don't get me wrong - I really appreciate Zanetti's 700-some caps for Inter, and the fact that he's been team captain for years now. He is just pure class and quality, and when it comes to players like that, you can't dislike them no matter what team they're on. I remember reading this on Wikipedia a while ago;

As of 2010, Zanetti has not received a red card in more than eleven years.

That sort of statement just oozes quality. He's an exemplar of the way the game should be played. It's a real pity that he was shafted by both Pekerman and Maradona in their respective WC runs. No doubt that Zanetti's influence on Argentina's defense could have really swayed how 2010 South Africa turned out.

I don't know why I initially chose ACM over FCIM. Just one of those weird draws of the hat. Actually I think I just preferred the red/black uniform to the blue/black of Internazionale.

My pick of RM over Barça was even more bizarre. During my last stint living in Argentina years ago, when I started getting back into football as a young adult rather than just a kid's passtime, news broke of Boca transferring then-midfield-prodigy Fernando Gago to Madrid. It was all over issues of El Grafico for months, despite Messi already working his way up to the first team from La Masia. I'd been following Gago a lot in the 2004-05 season when Boca won the league, Supercopa and Resupercopa Sudamericana, as well as taking on ACM in the Club World Cup in Japan. I continued to follow him from Boca to RM, and it just kind of stuck.

That decision to follow Real was solidified within a few weeks when River Plate confirmed the transfer of Gonzalo Higuaín. Mind was made up then and there. Hence, I feel a little bit threatened by Mourinho's continued trust in Benzema, despite Higuaín having been consistently solid up front over the last three or four seasons.

Quatsch

Reaction score

That decision to follow Real was solidified within a few weeks when River Plate confirmed the transfer of Gonzalo Higuaín. Mind was made up then and there. Hence, I feel a little bit threatened by Mourinho's continued trust in Benzema, despite Higuaín having been consistently solid up front over the last three or four seasons.

Indeed. Higuain is excellent.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
La Liga players are very theatrical. I have watched some La Liga and it seems that there are like 3 or 4 good teams, but beyond that it is not a very competitive league. Sure it is very nice to watch and the movement is amazing, but they really do lack the physicality of the EPL.
You say that as if it's a bad thing. I'll take finesse on the ball over some ogre shoving everything out of his way any day of the week (also would pick Real/Barca to win over any EPL team)
Anyone follow Ligue 1?

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, don't get me wrong - I really appreciate Zanetti's 700-some caps for Inter, and the fact that he's been team captain for years now. He is just pure class and quality, and when it comes to players like that, you can't dislike them no matter what team they're on. I remember reading this on Wikipedia a while ago;
As of 2010, Zanetti has not received a red card in more than eleven years.
That sort of statement just oozes quality. He's an exemplar of the way the game should be played. It's a real pity that he was shafted by both Pekerman and Maradona in their respective WC runs. No doubt that Zanetti's influence on Argentina's defense could have really swayed how 2010 South Africa turned out.
Absolutely. One of the great captains of all time. That figure about 0 red cards is incredible. I think he'll probably be an excellent manager (like Leonardo at Milan and PSG now, not a coach) in the future; I hope at Inter. Yes, Higuain is terrific and consistent. However, you still have time to change your Serie A allegiance to Inter, since just now we won the Trofeo TIM (a 3-way, 1-day tourney, 45 minutes each against the other 2 teams...maybe the most stupid little tournament around), beating first Juve on penalty kicks, and then beating AC Milan 1-0, goal by il Principe Milito (will love that guy forever for his CL goals), on a beautiful assist by Cambiasso. More Argentine than that??? :)
Anyone follow Ligue 1?
Not much anymore, but when I was younger I always liked Saint-Étienne ("Allez Les Verts!!!"), and disliked OM. Leonardo is doing a hell of a job with PSG, and it would be nice to see a Parisian club again at top levels.
Every article I see today is filled with anger at and heavy criticism of Mou. He's really pushing it, in a bad way.

ChampdeMars

Reaction score
Arsenal v. Liverpool this weekend anybody? Waking up early to watch the midfield trio of frimpong, ramsey, and rosicky, and watch suarez take on jenkinson :facepalm: Great time to be a gooner.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arsenal v. Liverpool this weekend anybody? Waking up early to watch the midfield trio of frimpong, ramsey, and rosicky, and watch suarez take on jenkinson :facepalm: Great time to be a gooner.

Longer term Ramsey looks like he's got potential. This weekend I think Carrol's set pieces could be dangerous, and don't under-estimate Downing :)

comeonyouspurs

Reaction score
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif

This post...it's just...so stupid.

Explain to me how. Yea the EPL doesn't have 20 teams that all have realistic title chances, not even 10, but there's a realistic chance that on any given match day a Villa, Fulham, Bolton, or Everton can snatch three points from any of the top four at the moment. This is less likely from the likes of Bilbao, Villareal, Valencia, or Sevilla at least from what the last five years have shown.

And as far as theatrics are concerned, how often did you see recent Gunners v Spurs, Man U v Chelsea, City v Man U or Newcastle v Sunderland fixtures spiral into such complete messes? Sure there is a chippiness attached to the fixture but come on man. The way these two teams have acted both on and off the pitch their last few fixtures has been pretty sad to watch.

So, call the argument subjective, it is, but I don't understand how my post was "so stupid".

My eyes will be glued to Gooners v L'Pool. But the highlight of my weekend is Spurs v Man U
bounce2.gif
Any thoughts on that fixture?

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little late on all this as I just got back into town......

EPL-Went to Arsenal-Newcastle at the 'Blind Pig' in East Village Saturday. I was definitely impressed with how many Arsenal fans were there and the overall vibe of the place. Super fun time! and yeah, definitely waking up Sat at 7:45 for the Arsenal-Liverpool match :slayer:

La Liga-Messi did such a great job with 2 goals and that ridiculous throughball in that 3-2 win. My friends that don't even like soccer always enjoy watching him play. and I'm so happy Fabregas is on Barca!

Lastly, so ******* pissed I can't get dish service at my new apartment. Can't get any La Liga games on this ****** cable I have now. Gonna have to bar it up throughout the week I guess :nodding:

Last edited:

comeonyouspurs

Reaction score
Lastly, so ******* pissed I can't get dish service at my new apartment. Can't get any La Liga games on this ****** cable I have now. Gonna have to bar it up throughout the week I guess
nod[1].gif

If you don't feel like the bar have a look here: http://eplstreaming.com/channel-1/ They usually find a free stream for damn near any game being played (that's televised) including La Liga. Gets me through the semester lol

ChampdeMars

Reaction score

Explain to me how. Yea the EPL doesn't have 20 teams that all have realistic title chances, not even 10, but there's a realistic chance that on any given match day a Villa, Fulham, Bolton, or Everton can snatch three points from any of the top four at the moment. This is less likely from the likes of Bilbao, Villareal, Valencia, or Sevilla at least from what the last five years have shown.

And as far as theatrics are concerned, how often did you see recent Gunners v Spurs, Man U v Chelsea, City v Man U or Newcastle v Sunderland fixtures spiral into such complete messes? Sure there is a chippiness attached to the fixture but come on man. The way these two teams have acted both on and off the pitch their last few fixtures has been pretty sad to watch.

So, call the argument subjective, it is, but I don't understand how my post was "so stupid".

My eyes will be glued to Gooners v L'Pool. But the highlight of my weekend is Spurs v Man U
bounce2.gif
Didn't ManU lose Rio? and Rafael? West Brom could've had the draw but with a more potent midfield and maybe having one of the CF showing up, it should provide a for a good match. Are Chicharito/Evra back yet? And if you want to talk about competitive, wouldn't the Bundesliga be the best league or, dare I even say, Ligue 1? It just seems that in La liga the technical ability is there and there is at least competition between the non Barca/RM teams. And all that talk about Messi not being able to compete on a cold day at Stoke is ludicrous. He would do the exact same thing and run circles around the defenders as they would try to push him off, and he will get the foul called. And regarding theatrics, I don't think there are characters like Roy Keane anymore in the EPL. Well maybe Barton.
Longer term Ramsey looks like he's got potential. This weekend I think Carrol's set pieces could be dangerous, and don't under-estimate Downing :)
Yeah, Ramsey and Wilshere are the future definitely, but Ramsey hasn't been looking on form as of late besides that early assist against Udinese. It'll be interesting to see what Daglish puts out in the midfield but count on Downing to cross it into the Carrol, but defensively (besides leftback), Arsenal is looking solid. But no Song, Gervinho, Wilshere, Gibbs, Traore, Djorou, or Nasri, and it doesn't bode too well for the Gunners. Hoping for a draw on this one.

Brian SD

Reaction score
To me, the EPL is not the best league because the quality of football is best - I think there's excellent football being played all over the world. Udinese last season played some beautiful stuff, as do Dortmund and Porto, and of course Barcelona always. The reason I love the EPL most is because every week, there's at least one big surprise, and the amount of big games and 'must-win' games every season is huge. Towards the end of the season, the relegation scrap, the 4th place scrap, the two or three team title battle, and the amount of passion and surprise is insurmountable. That the game is more physical doesn't really bother me, though it does make matches more intense and high-tempo. It's the most fun league to follow.

Last edited:

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But the highlight of my weekend is Spurs v Man U
bounce2.gif
My thought is that I hope you kick the stuffing out of United. Also Spurs should hurry up and sell Modric to Chelsea now, so Spurs have enough time to spend the $ on new players before the transfer window closes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads