• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

so, is it okay or not?

unscrupulous

Reaction score
to project the image of a spoilt-brat, if you know there are less than a handful(literal handful) of people your age whose resume can even remotely rival yours?

i'm compelled to ask this after viewing a similar thread a while ago; the title was something along the lines of "wearing bespoke right out of college"

was asked by a recent grad about to start an analyst i-banking stint. i believe his suit of choice was bespoke brioni, and he received many harsh comments.

i'm in a similar situation. i wear all bespoke savile-row, and i'm a recent grad. about to be entering hedge fund trading position.
but justice be done, i don't feel spoilt at all; i've worked at least 12-14 hours a day since i was 12, 18 hours for 3 days a week was not uncommon. i quit school at 15, set up my online business and made some good cash. then i got a trading job at a bulge bracket i bank when i was 17, i was the youngest and ironically enough almost always the first to arrive and last to leave. i got a hedge fund job over the summer during college(which most do not even enter until after 2 years post-college ib)
and unlike my peers interested in finance who would intern 1 summer, and then hope to enjoy all the other summers as a final preparation for the long-hours they are about to endure after they graduate, i worked at a top tier hedge fund during every single summer. in addition i worked in equities research part time during my studies(round 10 hours on sat and sun). and ontop of all this i got PHD in math at 23.

particularly harsh, even amidst the scrutiny the other guy received which included things like you won't be taken seriously, ur interviewer prob is dreaming about having his bespoke brioni etc. , was a comment [forgot by who] which said he reviewed resumes and turned a well-qualified girl down because she had hobbies like sailing and ski-ing and owned a car. he ended up offering it to a less qualified person because he worked at mc'donalds.
don't know if that anecdote is true, but my hobbies include horse-riding, archery, fencing, and i own several sports cars; its excessive but my justification is i rarely get to have free time, and when i do, i like to live it up.

what is your advice? should i buy some cheaper suits and wear them for a while or something? btw i'm not going for interview, have the job secured already.
and please don't criticize me with a 'you have no life', yes it's true i only go out about once every 3 weeks, and when im out, i'm checking the market on my phone every 5 mins, but i enjoy what i do and thrive on the stress.

thanks in advance, and welcome a first time poster; lurked for 2 weeks

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Who is your tailor? Do you use Paul Jeehta?

The resume reader was just bias and hired the male over the female. Would have worked better the other way around. She would work harder to support her lifestyle. Reader is obvious a confused liberal.
Why did you hyphenate ski-ing?

emakris

Reaction score
No, it is not by any means OK to carelessly expend people's time with such poppycock and/or twaddle.

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
did you have a question or did you just want to, er, tell us about yourself?

In any case, you've got the job already, 90% of your colleagues don't know or don't care what you wear to work, all they care about is if you're capable of doing the work and if you're an asshat or not personally. Even in a financial job where you'd be making a lot, not everyone in the office will be wearing expensive or bespoke clothing and I'm sure a number of your colleagues will dress pretty badly. Money doesn't equal style a lot of the time. Expensive or not, just make sure your clothing blends in with the general feeling of the office, never good if you're wearing very fashion forward suits and everyone else dresses conservatively.

unscrupulous

Reaction score
Who is your tailor? Do you use Paul Jeehta?
i don't have a tailor whom i consider a permanent, i use a couple; i bought bulk suits in several trips, so i'm not really a 'long-term customer'

Why did you hyphenate ski-ing?
i guess im an attention whore who doesn't want to exclude people who pay attention to miniscule spelling details from my show.
or maybe my undiscovered nationality at work in my subconcious.

No, it is not by any means OK to carelessly expend people's time with such poppycock and/or twaddle.
i was under the impression SFers actually enjoyed a troll post; didn't occur to me you regarded poppycock and twaddle as an expense of time

unscrupulous

Reaction score
did you have a question or did you just want to, er, tell us about yourself?

the latter, of course; actually the real motive was to observe how you generalize questions which require a background to be comprehended. you see, im doing a study about that kind of hostility, and the proportion of neurons which corresponds with the attitude

Expensive or not, just make sure your clothing blends in with the general feeling of the office, never good if you're wearing very fashion forward suits and everyone else dresses conservatively.

something gives me the notion that you have first hand experienced being the odd one out in the fashion foward suit in the sea of 1930s flashback party goers.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LuxeStyle?

Twisty

Reaction score
So, what are you selling us...common we know a link is coming soon.

A creative way to sell those banking training classes?

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Item the first: please click here, purchase said item, read contents, and then potentially resume posting.

Item the second: if your accomplishments are as they claim (and I'm not saying they aren't) there is no effin' way that any firm worth its salt would turn you away because you list such hobbies as sailing on your resume. At this point with the wealth of experience (and presumed success that has come along with it) your lifetime P&L, and your extensive list of contacts should be more than enough to get nearly any trading position your looking for.

JensenH

Reaction score
If you have such a busy professional life -- but lacks a life otherwise -- how do you find the time to write such a long-winded, bragging thread? let alone write responses to any and all replies to your thread?

Furthermore, why do you even care if your aim is to announce to the virtual world how rich you are, with the unintended consequence of exposing how poor and pathetic your life really is?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
this is actually pretty good

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
If you have been working 12 hour days since you were 12 you are more of a slave laborer than a spoiled brat, so trying to portray yourself as such would be a indefensible affectation.

nicknyse

Reaction score
unscrupulous,
I understand your dilemma. I think the appropriate thing would be to 'dress the part' but stay true to yourself. I dont think you should go and get a 'cheap suit' because you are worried about 'offending' the interviewer. You like to dress well, obviously you 'can', and I think you should. The only advice I would give is maybe 'tone it down'. For example, dont show off that it is a tailored suit (e.g., cuffs unbuttoned, etc.), but if someone asks, you could say, "Yeah I got it for my 23rd birthday as a gift for getting my PhD" (then *wink*)
Too much flash and the interviewer could feel 'threatened' by you, or get the wrong impression. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A true hedgie never wears a suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads