• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I kinda like those Flathead shirts...

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it seems beasty, and I've never really been into western shirts, but that houndstooth pattern makes me tingly. Unfortunately, I'm not gonna shell out that sort of coin for a shirt, no matter how hot I get looking at it.

I know eBay is the best place to look for cheaper alternatives, thing is, I have no idea what's crap, and what's quality or what's fitted, and what'll look like a sack. Any particular brands I should keep my eye out for if I want to get me some cowboy shirts?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
I know it seems beasty, and I've never really been into western shirts, but that houndstooth pattern makes me tingly. Unfortunately, I'm not gonna shell out that sort of coin for a shirt, no matter how hot I get looking at it.

I know eBay is the best place to look for cheaper alternatives, thing is, I have no idea what's crap, and what's quality or what's fitted, and what'll look like a sack. Any particular brands I should keep my eye out for if I want to get me some cowboy shirts?

That's a recurring question. I wish I had the answer to that, because I'd have lots of those western shirts. Unfortunately my experience has led me to believe that good, fitted western shirts really are either a) extremely rare, or b) expensive.

I plan to eventually shell out the cash for one of those flathead shirts (though I prefer the check over the houndstooth). They look amazing.

As for eBay: I think one of the best ways to search is just type in "western shirt" and organize them by price, most expensive at the top, get down to the $50 range and look for ones from Miu Miu, Dolce&Gabbana, etc. I know those designers get flak but they make some good individual pieces and you may have good luck on eBay.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So even the vintage stuff is designed for muscley hardworking cowboys, and not skinny soft-skinned folk like us?
frown.gif
The cmf might have some suggestions... he has some western shirts that fit him spot on. Actually, I haven't seen the check shirts now that I think of it..

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Ebay isn't as bad as you think. If you search the vintage men's clothing section and type "western" you'll get a ton of hits. All of the items listed have measurements as well. Most of them are M, L and XL, but there are a few smalls and there are measurements for them if you need to make sure.

Some mall brands aren't that bad. There is a Lucky Brand outlet near me at the orlando outlet malls and they have some that are pretty decent for cheap. CMF said that there is a store in Jville with western shirts for cheap and he has offered a few times before to pick one up for people if they wanted. I bought a check shirt from H&M a few months back that fits pretty well. As lame as Urban Outfitters is as a whole, they have some decent flannel/western/check shirts for reasonable prices and most of them fit pretty well.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
As for eBay: I think one of the best ways to search is just type in "western shirt" and organize them by price, most expensive at the top, get down to the $50 range and look for ones from Miu Miu, Dolce&Gabbana, etc. I know those designers get flak but they make some good individual pieces and you may have good luck on eBay.

But do note that about 90% of the stuff branded Dolce&Gabbana, and other brands of the like, are fakes. Some are terrible fakes too.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You know..
Those Flat Head houndstooth shirts are selling well for one main reason..
and it's not hype.
They're fit and construction is god-like.
I firmly believe that there isn't another western style shirt that fits this slim available. All the Flat Head shirts are selvedge and the buttons are real mother of pearl inlay.
You're basically paying for a shirt that surpasses anything else made in it's class in terms of construction and fit (if you're into slim).

Hope that sheds some light on WHY these shirts don't cost fifty dollars.
smile.gif

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a vintage eddie bauer shirt that doesn't have a western cut yoke or snaps but it has a similar plaid pattern to what you see on a lot of western shirts. i love it, love the fit as well.
i think there are a lot of brands that make decent versions of these types of shirts, like chronoaug mentioned - you just have to find the ones with a good fit

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a vintage Panhandle Slim shirt, that is very slim fit and long. Worth checking on ebay perhaps.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmm.... i dont know about slim fitting western shirts. all of the really nice ones i have are not branded, or the tags are gone.

my favorites are vintage roebucks flannel westerns... and i have a nice pendelton flannel western, but its too big for me.

Reaction score
i've got quite a few western shirts in my closet:

levis
nudie
ra*re
engineered garments
diesel

my wife complimented me on the levis one last night, and i know she's fond of the nudie. my favorite is the engineered garments, probably, for the pattern and cut; though the levis has a place in my heart for authenticity. the nudie is my beater-----i wear it like a smock. the ra*re is opulent, if not a little loud.

if you watch taxi driver, deniro's western shirt is exactly how they should be cut--------extra long so it stays tucked while riding horses and such. i don't think modern folk can get used to the length as most people seem to avoid tucking these days.

those flathead shirts look great and i don't doubt they are worth every penny in the long run.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I find a website or pics of these flathead houndstooth shirts?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Vintage + tailor = cheap(er) slim-fit shirt. That's probably what I'll end up doing this spring.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Vintage + tailor = cheap(er) slim-fit shirt. That's probably what I'll end up doing this spring.

Problem is the bulky shoulders and baggy sleeves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads