• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I got a Hugo Boss suit at Nordstrom today... Did I make a good purchase?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, no, it's not. That's the giant knock against Boss on this board- you can get higher quality suits for the same price. Hugo boss are fused suits with a fashiony fit- for that fit, which isn't as unique as they claim these days, you're paying a significant markup for a fused suit. $550 isn't too bad for one though, but at $800 with the quality of a $200 suit it's really an issue.

But hey, if it fits, enjoy it as long as it lasts. Don't take it in for cleaning too often, and it'll last longer. And yes, that's really quite okay to do with suits and wool in general.

@ Viral: You ask who would want their clothes to last forever anyway, but then remark that you don't wear clothes from HS anymore because they disintegrated. Would you wear them if they didn't disintegrate? And in terms of suits, which don't float in and out of style, what if your $2000 suit lasted for 20 years rather than your $500 suit lasting 3, and looked better every single time you wore it (which, all other things being equal, it would)? Is it worth it then?

Your logic seems to be that "there is no reason to want clothes to last forever because clothes do not last forever". Which is rather worthless as an argument.

And some clothes do last nearly forever, if cared for. Sturdy wools can last for decades or more. Prince Charles wears tweed jackets that used to belong to his uncle, not to mention stuff of his own that's 40+ years old (and not just the infamous shoes). On a per year basis, he's paying less for a suit then you are.

However, in this case the poster has purchased a suit with a very narrow fit and very narrow lapels. This suit WILL NOT still be in style nor wearable even 5 years from now. I know it's hard to imagine now - but any suit that complies with 'the current' look will be out of style soon enough. The apparel industry will see to it, I promise you. Already the last runway shows were pretty full of VERY wide and flowing trousers. After the pendulum has swung as far as it can go into tight fits there is no other direction it can possible move to next other than loose. And given the fact that a multi billion dollar industry exists primarily on the desire for change you can bet your life that change is a comin'!

In a few years we will all be looking at the current looks with disdain.

Thus, the suit the OP purchased is probably not such a bad idea if he paid a reasonable price for it - as by the time it wears out and the fusing starts to break down it will be out of style anyway.

The ONLY style that is worth investing in for the long haul is a 2 button with a moderate lapel and good, but not tight fit. It may not be what's 'in' right now - but it is always appropriate. (Ok - maybe a classic 6/4 double breasted would qualify as well.) When purchasing these sorts of classics in classic fabrics one might make a point for it lasting 20 years. Although even at that it's a rare man whose measurements don't change in 20 years. (I do think, however, there is still a case for investing in high quality clothing - because a great suit in a great fabric is still discernable from a cheaper one more often than not.) And there also is no doubt that a high quality construction will look better in a 5 year old suit than a lower quality one.

To the OP I say wear it and enjoy for what it is - today's fashion today - you'll be ready to throw it out when the time comes anyway.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could probably get a trained monkey that would push macro buttons firing off examples of knee-jerk SF groupthink -- "HB is inferior", "I sniff at anything fused", etc. -- in response to certain trigger words and phrases.

Actually, maybe someone already did.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When was the last time you impressed someone because your suit was canvassed as opposed to being fused?? And, quite frankly, if someone paid you compliment on your suit - especially and attractive female - and you replied with "It's canvassed" then you are even more of a loser than you might be aware of.

And therein lies your problem. You seem to buy clothes to impress people or attract women. I buy clothes that I like and I feel are high quality...not because it impresses others, but because it impresses me.

You, may in fact, be even more of a loser than you might be aware of.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being canvassed or fused is just a means of quality, which often goes hand in hand with higher end brands that make higher quality/cut suits. Canvassing DOES look better and does drape nicer. I can generally tell by looking at a jacket if it's canvassed or not, and very easily once I touch it. One feature I have noticed of higher quality brands that happened to be canvassed over fused is the fit/cut. Many of the lower end fused brands seem to be a more generic cut that will fit more people. Hugo Boss seems to be a brand that might do the more aggressive cut but definitely lacks on quality. However, I do like their stylistic choices as they generally have a lower button stance. One thing about hugo boss is that I can run my hand down an aisle at Off Fifth or Last Call and pick out which are Hugo Boss by their fabric alone... Having said that, those outlets are FILLED with Hugo Boss suits and I'm sure you could have found one there for a better price.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And therein lies your problem. You seem to buy clothes to impress people or attract women. I buy clothes that I like and I feel are high quality...not because it impresses others, but because it impresses me.

You, may in fact, be even more of a loser than you might be aware of.

OK, e-thug, you don't know me so I don't appreciate your tone.

The point is, just like you stated, the OP bought the suit for himself because he likes the way it looks and fits. However, if someone notices the same and happens to pay you a compliment - it's NOT because it's fused or canvassed, so who why keep mentioning it?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK, e-thug, you don't know me so I don't appreciate your tone.

The point is, just like you stated, the OP bought the suit for himself because he likes the way it looks and fits. However, if someone notices the same and happens to pay you a compliment - it's NOT because it's fused or canvassed, so who why keep mentioning it?

How am I an E-thug? You made the suggestion that someone is a loser, I simply turned that back to you.

The fact that the OP is asking about whether he made a good purchase obviously means he is questioning it. The reason why people compliment suits is not at issue here. The issue is whether the guy bought a suit worth $550. I say no, others say yes. What that has to do with compliments received by third parties, I'm not sure.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I absolutly hate the sole Hugo Boss suit that I have, it's fused and falling apart.

That being said if you like something, it shouldnt matter what others think.

frankgold

Reaction score
I bought a pair of hugo boss shoes that squeeked every time I wore them and they wouldn't take them back. They are not a company with trustworthy products, really.

Most Sincerely, I discourage supporting them in every way.

chet31

Reaction score
If the suit if affordable, fits you well and looks great, mission accomplished. It would then be preferable if it were fully canvassed and made of high quality fabric that will last forever. If I had to choose between the two, which usually I do, I choose the former.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a general disdain for the brand on this board, and I feel as though it sometimes has nothing to do with price, rather people just hate it because it's Hugo Boss. You didn't get the most amazing deal ever, but you also didn't get a bad deal. Enjoy the suit.

matt1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hugo Boss isn't all that bad I mean the brand won't last this long if it wasn't good.

Last Call

Reaction score
I wanted to revive this thread because its one of the first threads I read on this site and it helped with my purchase and what I should pay for a Boss suit. I just bought locally in Toronto a Hugo Boss Black Huge/Genius for my engagement party and am very happy with it as a young guy just starting to buy decent suits over the $400 CDN mark.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/boss-bl...extualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=0

I understand that its fused, may not last and might not get the most love on this forum however it fits perfectly. I have a large chest, shoulders and back and have tried on many mid to high range OTR suits with little success in finding something that fits me well without a break/peaking in lapel because of my chest or back. I think most can agree that fit is very important and my suit fits well.

movoblast

Reaction score
My first interview suit was a black Hugo Boss. 1st mistake was going with a black suit, 2nd mistake was going with a Hugo Boss. It was $520. For that price I could have gotten a better fitting suit of better quality. Of course I didn't know anything about suits, clothes, shoes, etc. back then.

jeffd

Reaction score
Like any other fashion house, Boss makes clothes of varying quality. I've seen Boss jackets I wouldn't want to be seen in, but then I've also got a fully canvassed Boss suit from Barneys that looks great and fit perfectly when I got it. Too big for me now unfortunately - or fortunately, rather. I have a few Boss sport coats in my closet, too, that I wish I could still wear.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derinmichel